Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: WSD Mini-Series-How was it?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
WSD Mini-Series-How was it?
« on: December 24, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
 :silverweed Now that the Mini-Series is out, I have only a simple yet equally complex question for all you lovely rabbits, How was it Honestly in your opinion?

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: WSD Mini-Series-How was it?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 05:16:27 PM »
I really liked it friend!
Spoiler: ShowHide

I was expecting it to be closer to the book as they were saying, but they changed so much stuff!
No boat! Watership minus the ship
It was a well done adaption with adding new aspects to the story for something different such as romance between the rabbits.
I was expecting no to very little blood (a scratch at the most), but it seemed they didn't shy away from it during the battle scene in the last episode.
I think they did get the story down well even though there was a number of changes it seemed to work well for the most part except the absents of the boat!
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 06:58:02 PM »
I did not like...

I love it!        :buttercup   :celebrate     :prince-rainbow :rabscuttle I love this new adaptation, I love it. I really like it a lot. It has many interesting changes, but still has the "Escence of Watership Down" IS WATERSHIP DOWN in its entirety. All under the supervision of Richard Adams. I saw the series twice in a row, in Latin Spanish, I will soon see it again in English and German. The voice performances are very good. The animation is not the best, but it is very competent. The story, script, characters and plot are very well done. In fact Bigwig, in this version has been combertido in my immediate favorite, thanks to the talent of voice, behind the character. It gives a lot of life, as well as each of the peronajes that have a well-defined personality. I LOVE WATERSHIP DOWN, I LIKE A LOT OF THIS VERSION.   :primrose
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
It was a lot better than I expected with some hiccups.

Generally I enjoyed the series. I think there were some really cool visual and cinematic ideas like the climax of episode two. I liked the fight with the crows in place of the fight with the rats.

I don't understand Woundwort's backstory thing at all. I don't understand the foxes, and I don't understand why the warren is built on the ruins of men. It's kinda confusing to me.

Not a big fan of the changes to Cowslip's warren. I think the whole cult thing raises more questions than it really should. Why do the does pray and chant to a geode? What do they mean about "making" what looks like a perfectly normal geode? I don't understand the whole dancing on two legs thing. I know they've always done odd dances, but that whole scene was strange and questionable. It just goes so fast that I don't get much out of it.

I cannot stand Clover. Don't like what they did with her at all. She is far and away unreasonably worldly, optimistic, and hopeful with no real explanation for it given that she's lived in a hutch her whole life. She's unreasonably captured by Efrafans far from their warren, and unreasonably attracted to by Woundwort, a plot point that goes nowhere and is tossed out with no clear purpose except, I dunno, filling time. It doesn't do much for either character except enforce that "Clover good" and "Woundwort bad". I think her character takes a lot away from Hyzenthlay too, who I think was made more pathetic than normal purely to build up just how damn good Clover is. Not a fan, not at all.

Ahem. But yes, aside from my big issues with Clover and smaller issues here and there, I enjoy the series quite a lot.

Offline pushmipullu

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by pushmipullu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 03:25:22 AM »
I thought it was pretty good. It'll probably grow on me after I've seen it a few times.

The only thing that I really 'disliked' was the whole Clover subplot, but otherwise the changes didn't bother me as much as I thought they would. The 1999 TV series also had a lot of changes, more than this series in fact,  but we got used to them and learned to take it at face value.

I do think, however, that this series is probably gonna be super confusing to people who aren't familiar with the story. Makes me a bit worried about how critics and such are going to respond.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »
Okay, I watched the whole thing and I was impressed!  It’s a new twist on WSD!!!!  I know its not the same, but I enjoyed it all the same.  It’s not perfect, but no adaptation will ever be.

Wish the music was thematic or memorable...it would be something else I could buy. :p

I was wondering if Orchis was supposed to be Vervain from the series since he seemed like the “jerk” type in Efrafa.

Woundwort’s rise to power was unexplained, I agree.

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:20:08 AM »
There's a small handful of brilliant decisions and excellent scenes throughout that I wouldn't give up for anything, but I kept feeling like it was a typical "heroes go on a quest" show instead of something truly special. I didn't care about the characters and couldn't figure out why. I believe it's because of the reduced violence, I didn't find it strong enough to put the fear of death in me to feel the same things the rabbits were feeling. The facial expressions and animation were good most of the time (although there's a few rabbits I can't tell apart), and a couple scenes were powerful enough to make me cry. So overall I didn't like it, yet I'm glad I watched it because there were parts of it I loved.

Offline Thorn

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Thorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »
Just finished watching the miniseries. My gosh, that was incredible.

I loved the ending and how Fiver said goodnight. He knew.
Could be because of his injuries or something that happened off screen. Maybe dealing with infection took a toll, or just being a leader can really wear down the mind and body
idk it was great imo :o And I love the Black Rabbit's portrayal.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 12:50:57 AM »
Generally speaking I haven’t heard any fans that have been disappointed with it.  We all seem to enjoy this fresh take on the series.

Offline Campion1

• Great Frith above!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Campion1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:51:29 AM »
This video exists and I thought it was really bad. Some of his critiques were of things that actually happened in the book, or are completely inaccurate. He also gives very little credit to the characters in this series.

There are some things I agree with him about later, like with clover and Kehaar, but it was an annoying video.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 02:26:56 AM »
The only forum member who didn't like it, as far as I know, is Magic-Rabbit, although by his own admission he didn't watch the whole thing.

Most fans of the book seem satisfied.

I might not watch that video, if it's that annoying...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:20:35 PM by Chipster-roo »
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 02:27:26 AM »
I didn't find it annoying particularly. Don't agree with all of it, but not annoying.

Offline Thorn

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 02:31:17 AM »
Oh yeah I saw that, going to watch that review tonight.

The models certainly had me skeptical, but the dialogue and voice acting in this series were so breathtaking, it more than made up for what the visuals lacked.

Offline pushmipullu

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by pushmipullu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 03:57:48 AM »
Just for the heck of it, I decided to watch the episodes with my parents just to see what they thought of it, since they don't know anything about watership down.

They thought it was really good and said that the animation was beautiful so *shrug*

Offline Thorn

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 05:07:09 AM »
It was beautiful <3 I liked the story better than the original animated movie. Voice acting, dialogue, and story were all incredible quality.