Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Calendars and more  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Re: Calendars and more
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 01:11:14 AM »
One SkekSil.

So excited and so scared for the miniseries.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 01:17:07 AM »
So excited and so scared for the miniseries.
Understandable.

You know I actually only saw the film recently for the first time because it was on Netflix. My brother said I'd like it. He was quite right xd

It was also very impressive. They really did an amazing job with those puppets.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 01:27:57 AM »
Goooood.

It's a very niche kind of thing, but I loooove it.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
@Chibiscuit oh is your favorite Fizzgig! He's my favorite.

I like how the dark crystal calendar has screen shots of the movie. That is what I wished they did with the 2020 WD calendar instead of recycling those rabbit sketches that don't look like the characters in the miniseries. The only rabbits that are easy to tell who they are is Woundwort and Bigwig cause he's got hair.

Here is a 1977 WD calendar that contains painted shots of the book. Saw it for sale on Ebay but it's on outdated calendar and overly expensive so I didn't think about buying it.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:24:38 PM by CockatielPony »
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 09:24:22 PM »
I'd rather have another calendar of the film, really! The backgrounds in that are lovely and the traditional animation looks far nicer on my wall than the far blander CGI screenshots the new calendar would have if it were so! Some of those hand-drawn sketches are nice, but the overall look of the calendar is a little... minimalist? Would like a bit more going on.

Not sure if am really tempted enough by any of them. Will have a look again and have a longer ponder. Might have to face the fact I may end up with no merchandise from the miniseries. XD

Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 10:16:06 PM »
The main difference between the film calendar and the miniseries one is that the film one used actual film stills, I think.  While for the miniseries, you get greyscale sketches instead.  But I agree with Meadow that CGI screenshots probably wouldn't have worked out either.

Might have to face the fact I may end up with no merchandise from the miniseries. XD
Considering what's been released so far, I wouldn't blame you.

Here is a 1977 WD calendar that contains painted shots of the book. Saw it for sale on Ebay but it's on outdated calendar and overly expensive so I didn't think about buying it.

That image doesn't display for me :(

But a 1977 calendar could be reused in 2022, 2033, 2039, 2050, 2061, and 2067 :hannah
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »
@Chibiscuit oh is your favourite Fizzgig! He's my favourite.
Fizzgig is great, he made me laugh a lot too^^ But my favourite is the Chamberlain. I just love the scheming ones^^ and I LOVE that 'hhmmm' sound he makes (though I don't understand why they call it a whimper since I don't think it sounds like one  :snowdrop2)

That image doesn't display for me :(

But a 1977 calendar could be reused in 2022, 2033, 2039, 2050, 2061, and 2067 :hannah
Wanted to say something similar^^ The thing with calenders is that you actually only need 14 and you're set for life!  :pipkin

Also, while I like the sketches in and of themselves, I do agree that it's hard to see the characters in them. Also, it's a pity they always re-use the same ones. I wouldn't mind as much if they made more sketches and different ones. Scenery sketches with characters would have been even better.

If I saw the calender in a store here, I would probably buy it still. But I don't feel I can justify ordering it online (even if I could) since the shipping would cost as much, if not more, than the calender itself...  :vervain
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 02:20:41 AM »
Also, it's a pity they always re-use the same ones.
I guess it's cheaper to make fewer sketches, but this may not necessarily be a good business decision.  Buy one item, and you've already got all the sketches; why bother to buy more?

But I don't feel I can justify ordering it online (even if I could) since the shipping would cost as much, if not more, than the calender itself...  :vervain
According to the website, shipping costs aren't that excessive in Europe: 4.49£ for the first item and £1.99 for each additional item, for a maximum of 14.44£.  In the UK, there is also free shipping for all orders over 10£.  If you live on another continent, however...then it gets ridiculous.

It might just be better to make your own calendar.  It will be cheaper, and several WD fans have made better art than what's in the official merchandise.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!