Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Other animal novels  (Read 190 times)

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Other animal novels
« on: October 31, 2020, 12:13:17 AM »
I want to read an animal narative novel but not sure what to read. I like animals that talk to each other like watership, redwall, warriors etc. Also something with a bit length (like 200 pages and up) and not to childish.

Can you guys give me suggestions?
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Other animal novels
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 02:05:02 AM »
If you don't mind humans being present as well, I recommend the wolf chronicles by Dorothy Hearst. It is a trilogy and each book is a good length. The first is called "Promise of the Wolves"

I'd say the Foxcraft trilogy by Inbali Inserles but it is much shorter. I wouldn't call it childish but it is aimed at a younger audience than the wolf chronicles. I really enjoyed it though.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 03:33:58 AM »
I saw fox craft at a bookstore next to the warriors book. It looked interesting, maybe I'll check it out. Haven't heard of Promise of the wolves.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Kili

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Kili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 09:26:35 PM »
Try William Horwood and Garry Kilworth. Their books are most likely out of print now but they are among the longest I've come across and aren't considered children's books like many of the others are. There's also Martin Hocke's books about owls that are worth a go, and Gabriel King's The Wild Road and The Golden Cat. They are quite old books from the 90's and early 2000's or earlier so you'll probably have to get them second hand.