Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: 1: The Journey  (Read 2033 times)

Offline pushmipullu

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by pushmipullu
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Re: 1: The Journey
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 11:53:21 PM »
Spoiler: ShowHide
I kind of just assumed that the crystal was found by the the rabbits elsewhere and then moved to the well.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:03:09 AM by Chipster-roo »

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »
I loved the first episode, though I credit part of that to the memorable scenes early in the book so you get a little of everything. It felt well-paced. Special mention to the El-ahrairah tale as a puppet play, that was amazing for its style, especially seeing "all the world will be your enemy" represented as a cycling set of predator faces with a whirlwind of claws spinning around.

It took about 10 minutes before I got used to the visuals and animation, the closeup rabbit faces helped and I started enjoying it more when I could detect facial expressions. There were still a couple instances of dead-looking eyes, but overall it was pretty good. The voices sound similar enough to those from the movie which helped me accept the characters and to know who's who, because I can't tell apart the rabbits to save my life. Hawkbit and Bluebell look the same to me, I can't tell apart Hazel and Fiver unless they're in the same scene, and 90% of the time I can't identify Blackberry even when I'm looking at him. I quickly warmed up to Bluebell with his snarky replies and his attempts to kiss Blackberry. Bigwig seems to be good in every adaptation since his rough personality's so entertaining, I'm glad he looks more alive than he did in screenshots. I really appreciate the brief moments we see Hazel express emotion, like lamenting he's not a leader, or getting angry at Fiver and shoving him to the ground (shocked me a little to see that use of force). The two characters I liked most were Cowslip and Strawberry, Cowslip for his hilariously bizarre introduction dancing around and the cute way he rests his paws while standing up, and Strawberry for her rapid-fire excited chatter.

Both of Fiver's visions were great. The first one was quiet but unsettling, seeing the dying and panicking rabbits frozen in time as the camera slowly panned around them, then being assaulted by loud sounds of machinery. The second one had flashes where the tree roots in Cowslip's Warren looked like bones, like spinal columns, that creeped me out a little since I don't recall the other adaptations showing that so literally. Maybe this miniseries is less traumatizing, but these visions seemed scarier to me than earlier versions.

My favorite scene was the snare scene, which I felt was better than the other versions. Bigwig's pained gasps for air were hard to listen to, and I was shocked to see the blood on Fiver's mouth as he was chewing through the peg (that must HURT). When it showed Hazel's quivering lips as he thought Bigwig was dead, that's what got me to cry.

There were a few things I didn't care for. It doesn't bother explaining any of the Lapine words that are sprinkled in. Maybe some can be deduced from context, but there's not much of that to go on, and they alternate between the Lapine and English words anyway. I think the Lapine names are used like affectionate nicknames (it's at least cute to hear "Thlayli" and "Hrairoo"), but I didn't get the impression they were used for that purpose so they have no significance to me. We didn't hear all of Bluebell's story about El-ahrairah in Cowslip's Warren, so there's parts of their culture we're missing out on, and I never got the sense Bluebell was their respected storyteller (or a good one at all -- the first time he brought it up I thought he was bragging). I don't see why the word "corva" had to be invented to describe crows, and it really seems off that there's no blood in that crow fight scene. This show has no problem showing blood or death. I can understand not showing a death on-screen, and not showing rampant blood like the movie, but at least acknowledge the crows died from bites/scratches and not from being slapped senseless.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 03:10:55 PM »
I already can't remember loads about the first episode. >_<

So it was a positive start. I was getting more and more worried from the trailers that it might actually be quite poor... and actually it wasn't all that bad - phew! I even didn't mind the animation style too much. There were a few occasions when it looked pretty bad (will note later on); however, in general, it really was okay. No doubt that the anatomy was off. Can't get over those stilt-legs!

What was the point of Dewdrop?

I can't remember too much about Cowslip's warren. The upright dancing was odd. Strawberry was initially weird and thankfully toned down for the rest of the show. No problems with her being a doe (rhymes!!). I was quite bothered when I saw that Bigwig had cat paws!

I think Bluebell trying to kiss Blackberry?? was my favourite part of the whole series. :buttercup It was pretty funny in its randomness! There was some lightness and teeny bits of humour which would entirely vanish by the third and fourth episodes.

Sorry I can't remember much else right now. Might add something later.  :dandelion
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 07:52:16 PM »
I've just re-watched the first episode. :D So much for me saying I wasn't in any rush to see it again! I wonder if any of my thoughts change second time around (not too much thus far). Certainly taking in some things I didn't really before.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 07:52:39 PM »
I enjoyed it even more second time around as I could actually tell the rabbits apart. It changed my opinion on Nettle too; at least it made me think and find her more interesting than first time around.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:23 PM »
I actually noticed Fiver's eyes were different this time round. :D

And realised that it was a close up of Bigwig's back paw, not his front paw, which makes the adding pawpads thing all the worse. (I used to be observant. :P)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:06:32 PM by MeadowRabbit »

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
I'm attempted to watch the series a third time around, but been telling myself to wait. It's been hard.

My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 06:18:05 PM »
I actually noticed Fiver's eyes were different this time round. :D

And realised that it was a close up of Bigwig's back paw, not his front paw, which makes the adding pawpads thing all the worse. (I used to be observant. :P)
I completely missed Fiver's heterochromia first time round too and might have missed it second time if Chipster hadn't pointed it out. I was really looking second time^^

Somahow, I still haven't seen the pawpads though.^^
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Owslacap427

• Frith-rah
  • Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Owslacap427
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 03:24:29 AM »
I did enjoy the first episode and how they did use more of the lapine language throughout, however, I agree with @Chipster-roo about the snare scene. I don't really understand why Bigwig strained, and pulled consistently against the wire, instead of just allowing the others to break him free, as in the 1978 version, he didn't strain, instead he lied there struggling to breathe. Other than that I did enjoy it very much.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.