Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: 4: The Siege  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Hazel

• A wave in the ocean
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hazel
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
4: The Siege
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »
Spoiler: ShowHide
Loved The Black Rabbit for a start. As a female she was beautiful and haunting. And as always. I was very sad about Hazel even though I knew it was coming. Fiver saying good night broke me. But I liked they kept the lines of the Black Rabbit.
Clover's role I did like. But it distracted from what should be Hyzenthlay's role. still, I like it. I'm easily pleased and I like a little twist.
Holly... HOLLY!! I can see why they did the whole Holly and Hyzenthlay thing now... to create an impact.
The fights were super, and I was terrified for Fiver but his visions and the final scenes were incredible. I was super impressed with part 4. It was definitely the best part for me. I still can't tell many of the Efrafan soldiers apart so I will need to rewatch it.
Also the music in this has been really good and sets the tone nicely.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:26:21 PM by Hazel »
"People’s souls are like gardens. You can’t turn your back on someone because his garden’s full of weeds. You have to give him water and lots of sunshine."

Offline Campion1

• Great Frith above!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Campion1
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Re: 4: The Siege
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 02:54:48 AM »

There some small decisions with the story I didn't approve of but outside of Episode 2 it was strong

And yes, it's hard to tell them apart at times

Woundwort was a very good character

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »

The Black Rabbit looked beautiful and sleek but not haunting at all to me which was a bit disappointing. She seemed more gentle (which fit the scene tho) but yes, I cried a little when Fiver came to say goodnight. That was beautiful.

I love how Woundwort looks at the dog and says he fears no elil. That was a great scene. (the jump that came after was ridiculous looking tho but whatever).

The fight was too confusing to me because I found it hard to tell the rabits apart and it often showed just a little too little. I know they wanted to avoid the 'voilent rabbit film' label but I mean a little extra fight and blood wouldn't hurt.

The series ending with the book's beginning was really nice. I loved that a lot.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
Okay, but am I the only one questioning Woundwort's backstory? Like, what was the point exactly? A pack of foxes - or one fox maybe? - attacked his warren and then him? I think? I had to question if it was even meant to represent reality, because I don't think foxes hunt in packs and it seems weird to me that a fox that had already killed a rabbit or two would continue to kill. Unless again, it was some kind of strange fox pack. I thought elil only killed to survive while men killed indiscriminately, as the series itself states.

A thought I had was that it was meant to represent men somehow, but that's never really followed up on. The backstory sequence doesn't show any real relevance, and Woundwort never brings it up. It's just kinda there. Maybe it's meant to foreshadow the "We are elil" thing, but that doesn't quite fit for me at least. The whole thing just seems like a non-starter.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »
This was for sure my favorite episode.

I thought the part with Hazel leading the dog worked nicely. It was nice to see General Woundwort relize that their chief was just a lumping rabbit, but with a trick up his sleeves. When watching it I was think, "but Hazel was the one who gets pinned down by cat not Fiver", but where it lead turned out nicely.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
The first five minutes were amazing. First of all, I LOVE that opening scene with Woundwort's backstory despite its problems (foxes don't hunt in packs!). The creepy music and old-timey video, the horror of the foxes going on a killing spree, and Woundwort's left eye getting scratched before it smash-cuts to black and the episode title. Congratulations for getting me to cry a second time, that's my favorite scene of the miniseries. Then we get a tense standoff with Woundwort and an AMAZING shot of Kehaar flying in slow-motion. I wanted to cheer for him, it was so cool watching the rain beading off his wings. His squawk at the end turning into a roar was cheesy, since there's no way a gull squawk will ever sound ferocious to me, but I don't mind a little unintentional humor with such a triumphant entrance.

A few other scenes I liked were Kehaar's goodbye scene ("What's life if you can't tease your pal a little, eh?"), Hazel's motivational speech (it sounded like he chose his words carefully to be inclusive), and Woundwort's grin of insanity as he thinks he can take on a dog.

The use of blood is particularly strange in this episode. One moment there's nothing, then suddenly there's a lot of it dried on their face and fur. There was one poor Efrafan that I felt sorry for because I thought he had TOO much blood on his face and legs, like he was going to collapse at any second. It's nice they're acknowledging the wounds the rabbits can inflict, but that felt like a pretty big jump.

I was left hopelessly confused with the whole scene about Hazel having to run while Fiver remained pinned under the cat (Fiver was pinned for a long time, I didn't think a cat would leave him alive for that long) and Fiver magically coming back (I didn't comprehend that Fiver had been rescued and returned, I thought he was cat food and then suddenly he's alive again). I know Fiver later explains it, but I wish they showed the rescue and the person who saved him more clearly so Hazel's words about not all humans being bad would have some impact. Come to think of it, who did Fiver see in the car in his vision, was it Hazel or him?
At least the reunion with Fiver was adorable, Hazel and Fiver rolling together and Bigwig hugging Fiver.

I didn't quite agree with the last scene. Started off well with Fiver talking to Hazel, I think Fiver knew it'd be their last conversation. The Black Rabbit talks to Hazel, the camera pans down, then back up and they're gone. I thought we'd at least see a sparkly thing reflected in the water or some other way of his spirit departing, because he looked visible enough beforehand that he couldn't just vanish entirely ten seconds later. The other rabbits start telling tales of Hazel-rah and the others, but then for a brief moment there's a rabbit in the foreground who I thought was Hazel. They could have handled that better.

It's a weak end to the series, but it had its moments, and overall I'm glad for having seen the series. I'll particularly miss Kehaar, he seemed like the most entertaining character.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »
Least liked of the episodes.

As I wrote in another thread, I was not happy with Hazel's life being cut so short like that. It made him seem pretty insignificant as a chief. There was no point to his dying; it didn't make him look any more of a hero to die earlier! Going against the book for no reason!! Unfortunately that did spoil my overall opinion of the series a tad.

However, it was still a sad scene because we knew it would end with him dying and I had to really control myself not to shed tears because I was with my parents. XD The scene was treated delicately and I could see how they were going to have the Black Rabbit appear in the reflection and that was nicely done. No problem with female Black Rabbit! Worked just fine.

The dog looked pretty bad. The rabbits were there with their detailed fur and the dog reallyyy did look like a videogame dog from a few years back. Fur too shiny-smooth, boxy ugly face, etc.

The animation of Lucy getting out of the car and back in it again was baaad. Really looked like they'd run out of money at that point and went with the first, basic animation attempt of it. Eurgh. There was another badly animated part which I forget now.

I wasn't keen on how they made Bigwig seem pretty clueless about his coming to Efrafa. He was pretty confident about what he had to do and wasn't afraid to admit he had been in the Owsla before in the book, film and series. Would have liked him to have met Woundwort earlier. What i did like was they kept the part with him saying he had to protect the warren for his chief rabbit and the shock of Woundwort and Sainfoin??? that he wasn't chief rabbit. That's always a powerful moment for me.

It was nice to see moments were clearly close to the book.

Can't remember everything; may return to this.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Cowslip

• Rad Thorns
  • Silver
  • Oops! You stepped in a snare.
    • Show only replies by Cowslip
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 07:13:44 PM »
I believe it is time to watch episode 4.

Aaaaaaand finished it! It was good.