Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Orchis  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Orchis
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 11:25:51 PM »
Spoiler: ShowHide
His English voice is great too; it fits him so well and he has a great laugh there too! I have heard snippets of his Dutch voice and immediately recognized the voice and it is the PERFECT choice as well. I should give his German (and French) voice a listen too^^

Currently, he's second place to TV Series!Vervain for me ^^ Though I think shared-first might be more accurate. I mean I don't think I ever had a dream about Vervain...
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Leo-rah

• Efrafan
  • Dandelion
  • The other buck's grass is always greener!
    • Show only replies by Leo-rah
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watershipdowntv
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 11:26:32 PM »
Already heard it a lot now. I already decided I'll watch the English version too, since I'm too curious, and I'm sure I also missed a lot, watching it only once. One can really say, they did a good job overall, specially, if I remember right, he didn't had a that huge role in the book.

Yeah, TV-Series Vervain is also great, that old goatbeard, hrhr. x)

But you dreamed about other characters in the past? I once had a conversation with Bigwig and Hazel, it was pretty awkward, but amazing at the same time. 8D
Quote from: Leo-rah
I love that buck.
I love him more than weasels love blood and meat.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 11:36:35 PM »
I think Orchis moved to the top of everyone's favorite efrain. I believe he was in the book, but only for a short part.  :orchis need more orchis emojis

I love that scene with Bigwig telling a story and Orchis keeps interrupting him in attempting to guilt trip Bigwig.

There is that one scene where Campion tells Orchis that they are the same rank, but not by strength. ooooo Campion got him there. I don't think I saw Orchis ever fighting.

By the way did he get killed by the dog?
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 04:54:37 PM »
I think Orchis moved to the top of everyone's favorite efrain. I believe he was in the book, but only for a short part.  :orchis 
I am so proud of him :orchis I couldn't even remember the name from before the miniseries if he's in I assume it is minor. Kinda curious now.

need more orchis emojis
That can most certainly be arranged!

I love that scene with Bigwig telling a story and Orchis keeps interrupting him in attempting to guilt trip Bigwig.

There is that one scene where Campion tells Orchis that they are the same rank, but not by strength. ooooo Campion got him there. I don't think I saw Orchis ever fighting.

By the way did he get killed by the dog?

I love that first scene too and the second one was so reminiscent of Series!Campion and Series!Vervain. But yeah we don't see him fight do we? In fact, we don't see that many of them actually fight in general.

It's hard to tell but pretty sure now he's the rabbit that gets killed by the dog right before Woundwort faces the dog.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »
I looked in the book to see what Orchis' role is, and it is extremely minor.  He is briefly mentioned in the chapter about Woundwort's backstory.  He led a patrol that discovered a warren at Nutley Copse, which Woundwort attacked soon afterwards.  Among the prisoners taken back was Blackavar's mother.

That's it.  He is never mentioned again in either book.  I don't know if he was still alive by the time of the final battle, especially since many rabbits die on wide patrol.

Miniseries!Orchis is essentially a new character entirely :orchis
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 02:56:54 AM »
I loved Orchis. He has an amazing voice (he almost sounds playful with his orders and insults) and he's ridiculously handsome in closeups. I have a thing for characters that have circles or round coloring around their eyes, makes them cuter. It also helps that he has a distinct look, which means the only Efrafans I could identify were him and Woundwort.

I don't remember anything that he did, but I agree with the other posts that he resembles Vervain from the TV series. Since I wasn't a fan of all the serious military stuff in Efrafa (that's just me, I don't care for most battle scenes in books/movies), I greatly appreciated the levity that comes from a Vervain-like character who seems to take delight in being a jerk to others, so he was one of the highlights of the miniseries for me. He has a remarkable ability to make me instantly forget what a scene's about because he's a lot more interesting.

Also I remember the book was strict about laughing being an unnatural thing for rabbits, making sure any laughing scene would be unsettling. I forgot that Orchis chuckles a couple times in this miniseries (maybe since no rabbits react strangely to it), but I don't mind since it sounds natural, a little bit of villainous laughing in an otherwise-serious series does make it more fun.

That's the scene where I loved him the most. He walks in out of nowhere, makes Bigwig of all rabbits stop speaking, and steals the scene by being himself. I don't know what joke he thought he was making, and it's a bit rude that yet another El-ahrairah story was interrupted, but I didn't mind because there's that levity again making the scene fun.

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
I was unsure initially, but I do like him more now, and do NOT think him ugly like I originally said - I guess I just needed a bit more time to adjust to his differently shaped nose and hyena mane. :D

Plus, really like your avatar of him, Chibiscuit!  :buttercup
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Cowslip

• Rad Thorns
  • Silver
  • Oops! You stepped in a snare.
    • Show only replies by Cowslip
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 11:04:15 PM »
I was unsure initially, but I do like him more now, and do NOT think him ugly like I originally said - I guess I just needed a bit more time to adjust to his differently shaped nose and hyena mane. :D

Plus, really like your avatar of him, Chibiscuit!  :buttercup

Don't blame ya there. I think by rabbit standards he may be considered ugly.

I mean, most probably. He's like a creep compared to everyone else.

And that's why he's great.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
I agree entirely with @Folgrimeo 's post: reasons why I love Orchis, the circles around eyes making characters cuter and preferring it if it isn't all serious and dark all the time. Just yes to all that.

@MeadowRabbit Another converted xd And Orchis does look handsome when he's having rabbits executed, doesn't he?^^