Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Silverweed  (Read 1210 times)

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Silverweed
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:18:07 AM »
What did you think of Silverweed?  :silverweed2 he certainly wasn't silver or even grey, but I do like how all of the Cowslip rabbits were red.

When he was telling the poem it felt threatening, I don't know if that's how Fiver only viewed Silverweed or if the other rabbits noticed the tone he was speaking in.

Not the best quality, but here he is.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Cowslip

• Rad Thorns
  • Silver
  • Oops! You stepped in a snare.
    • Show only replies by Cowslip
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Re: Silverweed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 03:51:19 AM »
It was definitely a different take on Silverweed.
I do wish he was silver. And maybe that he was a bit more as described in the novel. He'd always struck me as the "anti-Fiver", and in this adaptation he seems much bigger and much more like he's being creepy *intentionally.*

That said, I don't dislike this version. I don't have much of an opinion about it at all. It's just different.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:58:29 PM »
Definitely did a nice delivery of his poem. Very eerie. I liked that part.

Hard to associate him with :silverweed3  though but I guess that was to be expected and that doesn't really bother me.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:58:53 PM »
The 1999 series version of Silverweed is almost a new character entirely, with his mind powers and everything, but I think it works.  One of the best changes the series made, I think.

The poem scene in the miniseries is better than in the film and series, I think, especially with the "roof of bones" vision.  But I don't know....Silverweed's voice doesn't really convince me :/
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:04:44 AM »
I quite liked his voice actually. At first its deepness took me by surprise after that I thought it fitted well.

I don't think they mention his name at all though?
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 12:05:55 AM »
Interesting; the deepness is exactly what I didn't like xD

I'll check to see if they mention his name...

Nope, they don't mention his name.  It's not the only time they do this cough Haystack, Scabious cough
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 12:06:34 AM »
I thought so.

Wait so Scabious is in there somewhere just nameless?

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 12:07:39 AM »
I honestly have no idea.  He's mentioned on IMDb but not in the credits (Haystack is in the credits but unnamed).

Similarly, in the 1978 film, Lucy (the human girl who saves Hazel) is not mentioned by name in the film itself, only in the credits.

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
Then for all intents and purposes he really isn't in.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
The 1999 series version of Silverweed is almost a new character entirely, with his mind powers and everything, but I think it works.  One of the best changes the series made, I think.

The poem scene in the miniseries is better than in the film and series, I think, especially with the "roof of bones" vision.  But I don't know....Silverweed's voice doesn't really convince me :/

I much prefer Silverweed in 1999. Whenever I read the book I imagined it just like a rabbit, with a sweet, melodious voice like a poet should be. This is how the book describes it. But here I am adult and very sharp, I did not like the truth. But I can accept the variety. At the end of the day I'll take this one.   :silverweed3

I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 06:35:06 AM »
(spoilered since I mention the book's version and briefly the others)
Spoiler: ShowHide
I liked him a lot because he helped complete the scene of a successful spooky Fiver moment. He went full-on creepy with that forceful whispering voice of his. At first I thought his mouth was covered with dried blood (or Fiver's vision was making it look that way), but it appears his mouth is just a darker color. The funny thing is, I thought this scene was always supposed to be creepy (although it confused me why Cowslip would let someone say such depressing scary words to his rabbits), so I'm thinking the scarier the better and he's doing a fantastic job, but then I looked at the book again.

In the book, the poem was longer and sounded more like it was about making death acceptable instead of "ooh watch out, death's gonna get you". The earlier paragraphs put the last paragraph in a more reassuring light. Unfortunately all of the adaptations mostly pull from the last paragraph, so that context is lost and I would always hear it as doom and gloom. The movie to its credit had Cowslip speaking normally. But then the TV show had Silverweed sounding like he was in a trance with a disturbing smile, and the miniseries had him sound menacing.

Personally I prefer the scary interpretation and miniseries version, it's more entertaining and my mind was going to go that way anyway with lines like "I give you my breath, my life", but it still seems different from what the book was aiming for.