Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Vervain  (Read 616 times)

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Silver
  • Shadowrabbit from Finland - Give snuggles to pass!
    • Show only replies by Varjokani
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • I speak:
Vervain
« on: August 14, 2020, 01:11:27 AM »
When I first saw the tv series I hated Vervain.  But then I kept watching the show and I ended up liking his dark humour.

Also it gets super dark if you think that in the episode where Watership rabbits did that "El-ahrairah" trick to Vervain he cursed Campion with the black rabbit.  When Campion died he indeed got cursed by black rabbit.

Maybe Vervain is magical rabbit after all.
~Varjokani, that darker side of Campion. Plz gimme a hug or I steal ur cookies. Nya |Shadowrabbit dA

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: Vervain
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 01:26:00 AM »
I loved it more each second he appeared when I rewatched the series.

Maybe Vervain is magical rabbit after all.
Huh never thought of that before! :strawberry2

I still have mixed feelings about that episode. I really don't like how the Watershippers got away with making Vervain think he was crazy... not very heroic if you ask me.
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Silver
  • Shadowrabbit from Finland - Give snuggles to pass!
    • Show only replies by Varjokani
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 01:40:07 AM »
Yep

And when you think they charged to Efrafa. :/

Same with the  mini tv series.
Spoiler: ShowHide
if kidnapping Clover in the mini series does not count the Efrafans were the good guys.
~Varjokani, that darker side of Campion. Plz gimme a hug or I steal ur cookies. Nya |Shadowrabbit dA

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
Even so, it remains one of the most memorable episodes of the series for doing something different and fun, one of my personal favorites. Although it is very curious, I had not thought about it, Campion was cursed, but I think that it is rather a wink on the part of the writers, more than anything. But who knows, it's an interesting detail x3  :vervaincarrot 

I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 04:04:50 AM »
I have mixed feelings, regarding the Efrafans being the "good guys".  In the book it is explained that Woundwort set up Efrafa the way he did to keep the warren safe from elil and humans.  Many of these methods made sense, although taken too far; good intentions, poor execution.  I don't remember if Woundwort's motivations were mentioned in the miniseries (probably not, but I really need to watch it again...), but it still feels like the most depressing version of Efrafa to live in.  It also didn't show a lot of Vervain :vervain

Sleeping Vervain should be very cute, though :vervain2 I don't think we ever saw this happen in the 1999 series...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Owsalfa

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Owsalfa
    • View Profile
    • http://owsalfa.tumblr.com
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:19:12 PM »
I'm 100% sure that Vervain cursed Campion in that episode.
I mean... it probably wasn't intended given the huge jump in differences between Seasons 1/2 to 3...but I believe it.
owsalfa.tumblr

Offline Nesuki

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Nesuki
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart Gallery
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:27:49 AM »
A few days ago @Leo-rah and I had a discussion about Vervain as he appeared in the old cartoon series.
It started with "Damn this character is just created to be disliked!" 

And then... we talked about him and his intentions, why he might be that insanely loyal to Woundwort and we created a whole (headcanon) background-story about him :D
We will share it soon in another post. If a character, no matter how annoying and "evil" he might be, gets a decent backgroundstory.... people have it a lot easier to empathize with it.

Also I am rewatching the 1999 series again rn (after like... 15 years? I just finished Season 3 Episode 8 "Darkhaven") and I noticed a few things about Vervain.
He appeared VERY loyal to Woundwort in the beginning and was always trying to please.
He left Woundwort when Efrafa was destroyed and he was sure about the generals death.
He felt pity and tried to convince Woundwort to help the Redstone rabbits when their warren was invaded by humans.
It is obvious that he is very uncomfortable to be around Woundwort - yet he has no other place to go.

So after all I am very sure there is more behind Vervains fassade... if you just dig a little deeper  ;)
"I bet you thought this would be a classical >hero defeats the villain<-story, didn't you? But I fear I have to disappoint you here." / Kurai to Campion