Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Was "Tales" as good as you hoped?  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Was "Tales" as good as you hoped?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
...but the rest of the book which returns to Hazel and company... the less said about that the better. That was severely disappointing. We didn't need to return to them, the first book ended well enough.

Plus the fact that it was a sore disappointment, and weak on any development that was left.  There wasn't much else to write about with the fall of Woundwort and Efrafa.  I'm almost scared to say the tv series put together a better epilogue of events than Adams in some cases.

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »
I've been thinking about buying this book. Though, not really sure I want to spend money on a disapointment.
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline Owsla-rah

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Owsla-rah
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 02:14:59 AM »
Quote from: Quote:on 
I've been thinking about buying this book. Though, not really sure I want to spend money on a disapointment.

You could find a free digital copy online if you don't feel the need to buy it. I have both the book and a digital copy on my computer.
"The world is as bitter as the coffee I drink this Morning."-Donald E. Waters

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
Well, the good news is its not that expensive to get used copies of Tales, so even if you do buy it, you're probably paying $6 for it at most--and that includes shipping.  If you don't want to spend any money, check out a local library and see if there's a copy there you can borrow to read.

What I think you will like are the El-ahrairah stories, as I have said.  The epilogue of WSD is definitely the disappointment, so if you can look beyond that, you will like the good parts that you read. :)

Offline bumblebee

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by bumblebee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »
I really liked the mention of Flyairth's obsession with the white blindness, I don't know why but the way it's described terrifies me too. I was as scared as she was during the story of her stay on the Down, and that particular story stuck with me. The El-ahrairah stories were a treat, too, but the rest I thought were rather disappointing. I agree with the previous comments that it all seemed really rushed.
Still, I'm really glad I got to read more stories. You only reread/watch so many times before you start getting greedy :P
"Hoi, hoi u embleer Hrair, M'saion ulé hraka vair."

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 04:19:01 PM »
The quick stories angle was quite boring to me. It did feel rushed, quite uninteresting with a lack of depth to the characters. The Prince Rainbow/El-Ahrairah stories were probably the most interesting. Not a worthy enough follow up to me.

I did only read it once, so maybe I'd warm to it a bit second time around. I let a friend have it; I was THAT non-fussed about keeping it.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »
I saw it completely different. The short story telling was quite interesting and varied. But of course, I'm seeing "Tales..." more as an addition to the first book, not as a sequel.

Through this book, we simply had the change to experience more of our beloved rabbit heroes. :)

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
In my case history: Flyairth and Hyzenthlay in action.     :primrose
I really liked having real female rabbits as leader at least to vary things in the burrow, but in reality it is not so .... Or am I wrong?

And there is another story, but it is very sad to even mention it.  :campion2
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Naylte

• Resident Recluse
  • Junior Owsla
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Naylte
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • I speak:
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 11:23:55 PM »
Short Answer: No, it was not what I had hoped.

Long Answer:
I liked Tales for the El-ahrairah stories as most have already stated. The other stories involving Watership Down were alright individually, but the lack of any connection between them made the whole book seem disorganized. I understand the point was to make just a collection of short stories, but a basic plot could have been implemented to make it all more interesting and give the book a purpose.

Take Flyairth's obsession with the white blindness. She appeared in multiple chapters of Tales and received lots of attention. The first time I read it, I was expecting her seemingly unsubstantiated fear to be confirmed by an outbreak on Watership Down. That could have been an interesting and suspenseful plot. Instead, she simply leaves and nothing about her or the white blindness is mentioned again. Then what was the point of all that? Hyzenthlay and Vilthuril have all those visions of her warren and she even appears on Watership Down only to have her leave again after nothing happens?? You'd think that something would occur instead of an anticlimactic conclusion like that.
If we light a candle, a shadow appears. The more we strive for light, the bigger the shadow will grow behind us.

Offline Fivergoalkeeper

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Fivergoalkeeper
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »
In many things Tales was good as i hoped. But I missed the Story, after Hazel leave the warren.
World Champions
1954 Germany - Hungary 3:2
1974 Germany - Netherlands 2:1
1990 Germany - Argentina 1:0
2014 Germany - Argentina 1:0

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 02:47:54 AM »
Was it as good as I expected?  That is a hard question to answer because, quite frankly, I don't really know what I expected.  Some people on the Internet say it is a great sequel, others say it is terrible.  The only thing everyone agrees on is that the original is better.

But was it any good?  So far, I reviewed each chapter and rated them on a scale from 0 to 5.  The average rating is around 3.05263158, which is rather average.  But even then, it doesn't really mean much.  Some chapters are shorter than others, some have really high ratings and others have really low ratings.  So let's review each part separately.

Part 1 is mostly El-ahrairah stories, but not entirely.  Ironically, my two favourite chapters in this part are the only two that are not El-ahrairah stories.  As for the other stories, well, it can be summarized this way: those in the original book are better.  Out of the five here, one is almost as good as the originals (The Sense of Smell), another is extremely silly but that makes it good (King Fur-Rocious), and the other three are not that good, I think.  Essentially, you have a few good chapters and a few bad ones.  This results in a part that is, in numbers, totally average.  The highlight remains The Rabbits' Ghost Story, with Speedwell's Story being a good read, especially when you're feeling depressed.

Part 2 is more El-ahrairah stories, on the way back from the Black Rabbit's warren, though this fact is of little importance to the stories themselves.  Reading through this thread, a lot of you seem to have liked The Story of the Terrible Hay-Making, but personally I didn't really like it because El-ahrairah seems somewhat of a coward in it.  This part is the worst of the book, in my opinion.  Two stories (The Comical Field and The Great Marsh) are average and two are rather bad, I think.  This part significantly decreases the average rating of the book.  I recommend that most readers skip it.

Now, part 3, the last one and the most interesting one: THE WD RABBITS ARE BACK!!!  Sure, El-ahrairah is a nice character, but in the original the stories about him were mere interludes, so far they have been pretty much everything.  What interests me the most is the WD rabbits themselves.

Now, the original book concluded in a way that did not require any sequel, but how does this work out?  Firstly, the chapter division sucks for the first few chapters: you have an overly long one sandwiched between two unusually short ones.  After that, each chapter focuses on one character, so it works rather well.  Anyway...

The fact remains that there is a massive missed opportunity.  As Naylte pointed out, a lot of time is spent developing the character of Flyairth.  She gets an elaborate backstory, better than that of many of the original WD rabbits.  Then she arrives at WD and spends the winter there, and gets even more character development.  Then...she leaves, she's not coming back, it's all over.  This is really disappointing.  And most annoying of all, soon after she departs, Bigwig says that Kehaar will bring news of her.  He never does.  It's a shame, the few chapters in which she appears are rather good.

And what about the other new characters?  Essentially, the only ones that do anything are Nyreem, Sandwort and Stonecrop.  And I'm stretching it with Nyreem.  She is there to provide a chance for Hyzenthlay to show off her skills as Chief Rabbit and is reused to rescue Sandwort.  She could have done more.  Sandwort is rather unsympathetic and doesn't do much outside of his chapter.  Stonecrop is :sarcasm an abomination, an insult, a threat to rabbitry.  Sorry, I guess I overdid it a little.  But I still think that his chapter is terrible.

Essentially, the third part is the highlight of the book and is mainly of interest because of the character development it provides about Vilthuril, Hyzenthlay and Campion.  Hyzenthlay, one of my favourite characters, was very important in the original, but as she only appears halfway through the book, she doesn't have a chance to do much.  Pretty much the same thing happens in the film (in the series she gets replaced with Primrose, but let's leave that for another thread).  Vilthuril, another of my favourites, hardly did anything in the original and didn't appear in the film.  Campion, while not one of my favourites, is still a good character and it's nice to see how he is without Woundwort.

So would I recommend TFWD?  Perhaps, if you like the original.  While there are a certain number of bad chapters, it still has a few good ones.  Overall, I would rate it 3.5, maybe 4 (the original gets pretty close to a 5).

My five favourite chapters:
1: Hyzenthlay in Action
2: Flyairth
3: The Secret River
4: The Rabbits' Ghost Story
5: Speedwell's Story

My five least favourite chapters:
5: The Story of the Three Cows
4: The Story of the Terrible Hay-Making
3: The Hole in the Sky
2: El-ahrairah and the Lendri
1: Stonecrop
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by florapaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
The trick to books like Tales is to dive in without thinking about it. For something like this you really need to keep your expectations lowered.
Saying that, I didn't mind it too much. It's been said before, and I agree. It's not so much a sequel as it is a continuation of the first book. And even as a "second book" in a series rather than a sequel, it's not the best. But it's not the worst.
Most of the El-Ahrairah stories were very good, especially the second half of them. The stories focusing on the Down rabbits weren't very strong, but some of them are worth reading (coughcoughHyzenthlayinActioncough).

Long story short, you aren't missing much if you decide to pass on this book.

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 12:12:15 AM »
:silverweed3 Out of all the reviews here, I have to say that I do agree with most of them that I did not mind reading for I did like it, especially the tales of El-ahrairah. :) Yet I do agree also that you're not missing much if you decide to skip it. Still, a good read, though more of a continuation of the story than a sequel.  :silverweed

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »
I liked the book my favorite el ahrairah story was The Story of King Fur-Rocius.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
I'm going to have to pull this out and reread it now...because I don't remember that much about it.