Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: How many people were actually traumatised by the movie?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Re: How many people were actually traumatised by the movie?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 12:21:22 AM »
I guess it depends on what you're used to? It does have a lot of blood but overall it's not that bad I think (Speaking as someone whose favourite cartoon as a kid was AOFW)

The problem I think is that a lot of kids went into the film unprepared. And the film does kinda extrapolate the violence. But still. Personally I found the ending more "traumatizing" than any of the violence in the film. I spend a week reflecting on life after watching it

"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Hammy

• Hawkbit
    • Show only replies by Hammy
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 12:22:54 AM »
Yeah, that's the issue. "It's animated, it must be for kids" said so many unwary parents before traumatizing their very young children. Who don't perceive much of the movie at all beyond "Bunnies dying"

Be glad it was Watership Down and not The Plague Dogs that got the wide distribution. If there's anything ***ked up, it's that film and book.

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
  • Love voice acting in cartoons
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 12:26:01 AM »
You're never too old for Farthing Wood or the original Watership Down.

Both Farthing Wood and Watership Down are classic hand drawn animation s in their own right as well as The  Plague Dogs.

All showed life in true form and death as merciless.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith

Offline Cowslip

• Rad Thorns
  • Silver
  • Oops! You stepped in a snare.
    • Show only replies by Cowslip
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 09:08:36 AM »
Saw WSD when I was 9 or 10 with a handful of same-age friends without having ever heard of it before.
...Nobody was traumatized. You can handle it.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 12:53:50 AM »
It can vary for each person, I think.  Some people are more sensitive to violence than others, and age is not the only factor.  My mother couldn't handle it, while several people here watched it at a young age and weren't traumatized or anything.

That said, the film really was more violent than the original book.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Cowslip

• Rad Thorns
  • Silver
  • Oops! You stepped in a snare.
    • Show only replies by Cowslip
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 02:18:15 AM »
Yeah, I guess some people are more sensitive than others.

Offline Kili

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Kili
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 11:19:30 PM »
I've never had a problem watching it. I read the book many times before seeing the film though, so I knew what to expect, and I saw it as a teenager.

Personally, I think what people object to is being shown the truth about how wild animals are treated because it makes them feel guilty because they benefit from it or didn't care until they saw it. I also saw the Animals of Farthing Wood tv series before watching the film, and if someone can watch that, they can watch Watership Down with no problems. (I mean, what do we see in AOFW? Toad almost getting squashed by a digger, the animals almost dying in a wild fire caused by a careless passing littering motorist, the pheasants getting shot by the farmer, Fox and Vixen almost getting torn apart by hounds, the hedgehogs getting killed on the motorway and the animals almost getting poisoned by the herbicide in the first book, the poachers in the second and Fox's son Bold getting shot in the leg by the gamekeeper - I mention these because they are caused directly by people, on purpose, or through their activities. In WD, we only really have the destruction of Sandleford, the snares and Hazel being shot. Of course, there is fighting among the rabbits, and some predation by foxes, but there is fighting/predation between the animals in the later books of AOFW.)

The other problem, too is that people think that all fiction books about animals are going to be all cute and fluffy and for children, so they're shocked when they aren't. There's very few that are and nearly all the novels I've read where animals play a central part contain some element of animal suffering. I think it's important that they do because they get the reader to empathize with the animals. In RL wildlife film making I've found that the most effective films that get people to empathize with animals and see them as individual creatures are those that follow a group of animals for a long period of time, like the BBC's Big Cat Diary series or Meerkat Manor.

Offline Capt. Rake Nightfur

• Eulalia!
  • Hawkbit
  • Come up here so I can hit you with my sword!
    • Show only replies by Capt. Rake Nightfur
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »
By the time I saw the film, I had already seen Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, both of which were far more gory than WD, and additionally, I wasn't a really young kid when I did see it. Maybe I would have been more scared of it had I seen it earlier in my life, but I was about thirteen when I first saw it I think, and so I was past the age I might have been traumatized by it.
I've missed this place.
Check out my Deviant Art page. But only if you feel like it.

Offline Hoomandil

• Pipkin
  • OWWWWSLA! - Bigwig
    • Show only replies by Hoomandil
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 07:37:03 PM »
The way I see it, this movie is mostly child friendly throughout the first half, and Fiver's visions weren't that bad either. The only real parts that I could see as traumatizing to sensitive viewers is Bigwig getting caught in a snare, Captain Holly describing the destruction and death of Sandleford Warren, and the climax where General Woundwort brutally mutilates some rabbits (on screen blood for 3 seconds or so, albeit the entire body is drenched) and battles Bigwig. Other than that, nothing to really scoff at. :meh Should a child watch this alone? They could, but being accompanied by a parent to guide them through some things and reassure them is my recommendation. The U rating might be a stretch, but it definitely doesn't deserve anything worse than PG. Like other people said though, some people can handle gruesome or terrifying scenes better than others regardless of age.
Curious to find where I’m most active?
You can find me at the Gang of Five!
http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?action=profile;u=1224

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Silver
  • Shadowrabbit from Finland - Give snuggles to pass!
    • Show only replies by Varjokani
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • I speak:
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »
I dunno if I got traumatized but I got maybe too attracted on charachters like  :campion :orchis :inle-movie .. hehhe
I kinda wanna make out with Campion. ^^'
~Varjokani, that darker side of Campion. Plz gimme a hug or I steal ur cookies. Nya |Shadowrabbit dA