Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: What Watership Down means to me  (Read 1743 times)

Offline lindipearson

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by lindipearson
    • View Profile
What Watership Down means to me
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
:irony

I have not seen the movie, nor any series but plan to look them up soon and watch them. However, I just finished the book and was so enthralled in it and loved it so much that it is on my list of favorite books and I read quite a lot of books. I only wish the epilogue had included the other characters as well, or at least more of them, especially bigwig and fiver. It is a remarkable book and will be a must for me to read to my children.

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 05:22:37 PM »
:D *Spin-hugs*

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 07:24:54 AM »
Quote from: Magic-Rabbit on Jun 15 2017, 09:36:29 AM
Hello everyone.

I would like to say that I am proud not only to live in England which is famed for Watership Down but to know of such a marvelous animation from the 1970s.

The animation in the movie is breathtaking considering it was done hand-drawn on a frame by frame basis and the the colour scheme just amazing to look at.

I am also pleased by the amazing actors they cast as the voices since a lot of them are now legends in their own right.

I must also say that Angela Morley's film score has got the right musical instrumentals for the parts of the movie in which they appear and Mike Batt's composition of Bright Eyes when sung by Art Garfunkel is hauntingly amazing.

Well that's how I feel about the movie and what it means to me. :)

I have to agree with everything you said...I wish the movie was a bit longer LOL because it was so beautifully done, with a unique soundtrack. Some of the songs really, really moved me...from the soaring song when the rabbits reached WSD and climbed it, to the hilarious Kehaar theme ( which suited his personality) and to the tearful  Bright Eyes. Now THAT song never fails to make me cry even though Hazel wasn't dead.  Since I also played woodwind instruments, the use of the solo oboe in that song was especially moving to me.

The animation art...you just don't find that kind of work anywhere these days with computer animation, and I love the old-style way of doing things frame by frame. Everything came together really well for this movie. I still watch it from time to time, and I'm always amazed by the animation itself. And yes, the voices...John Hurt and so forth. The guy who voiced Silver was in the movie Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett...I forgot his name, but he played one of the Archbishops in there.

The movie is what got me interested first in WSD, then I read the book. To be honest, I am not sure if I had read the book first if it would have had the same impact on me as the movie originally.  Of course, I was 10 when the movie came out and 14 when I read the book.  So, at 14 I did feel I had a greater understanding and appreciation for the complexity of the book.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 05:23:58 PM »
:frith  :frith  :frith  :frith
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Thethuthinnang_Siddal

• Lover of Lapine Lore
  • Hlessi
  • Lover of fiction, film, history and theology. :)
    • Show only replies by Thethuthinnang_Siddal
    • View Profile
    • fhc.soopergrape
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Re: What Watership Down means to me
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »

Hello everyone.

I would like to say that I am proud not only to live in England which is famed for Watership Down but to know of such a marvelous animation from the 1970s.

The animation in the movie is breathtaking considering it was done hand-drawn on a frame by frame basis and the the colour scheme just amazing to look at.

I am also pleased by the amazing actors they cast as the voices since a lot of them are now legends in their own right.

I must also say that Angela Morley's film score has got the right musical instrumentals for the parts of the movie in which they appear and Mike Batt's composition of Bright Eyes when sung by Art Garfunkel is hauntingly amazing.

Well that's how I feel about the movie and what it means to me. :)

I agree with everything you've said!

So many people my age claim to have been scarred by the film, but I always saw it as completely magical.

Thethuthinnang_Siddal :vilthuril
Here to discuss Adams' wonderful novel with like-minded fans. I first saw the 1978 film about a decade ago and have loved it all my life, however I now realise that I love the book even more.

Offline Magic-Rabbit

• Dandelion
  • Love voice acting in cartoons
    • Show only replies by Magic-Rabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
Re: What Watership Down means to me
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »
I also have a place in Eastleigh in Hampshire that has my surname on it not far from Watership Down, it's within a 45 minute drive.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."- Lord Frith