Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Ok, so who's got the blu-ray of WSD?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Ok, so who's got the blu-ray of WSD?
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
Surely somebody here has the blu-ray copy.

One day I want to buy it, but I'm curious as to what the transfer looks like.  I have two dvd copies - one from Warner Brothers made in 2002, and another from Big Sky Video made in 2003 (called the 25th Anniversary Edition).  Now, living in the states, the only way I can watch both DVDs is through my computer.  My blu-ray player won't play other regions than region 1.  But, I keep an old copy of VLC Portable on my computer which ignores region codes and will play both DVDs.  I did back-to-back screen captures and for the 25th anniversary edition, its apparent it was sent through a filter to remove the dust from the film, but it softens the picture.  :doh  Guess I can't get my cake and eat it too!

My question is, which transfer is used in the blu-ray version that's available in Europe?  Reviews have said the quality of the picture isn't so good, so I'm guessing someone tried to clean up the film and in the process the picture lost its sharpness. :(  Anyone here that can confirm that?

Below are three screen captures; the top one is from Warner Brothers, the bottom from Big Sky Video (which has the dust removing--look in the sky).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:03:57 PM by Hawkbit »