Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Position titles in warrens  (Read 822 times)

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Strifer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Position titles in warrens
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:51:44 AM »
This topic will contain the positions in warrens, for instance; Rah. This may prove to be impossible, but shame on me if I don't try!

We all know that the chief of a warren is called a Rah, usually added to the end of a rabbit's name as it becomes a Rah. For example: Chief Hazel = Kothen-Rah in Lapine (Or Hazel-Rah).
A "main guard" of a warren would be an Owsla, or maybe even a Head Owsla. I am not sure if a position like that would be called a Head Owsla, but I do know that that position would in fact be an Owsla. When referring to a Head Owsla by name, use the prefix of Captain, as in Captain Campion. A version of Owsla is an Owslafa, or Council Police, found only in Efrafa.
The second meaning for Owsla is guard. This is applicable to "The strongest rabbits in a warren, the ruling clique" (from Watership Down's Glossary)

Sources: Bits'n'Bobstones Gaia Online page from 2013, Lapine Glossaries from Watership Down and Tales from Watership Down, Watership Down and Tales from Watership Down.

[My schedule has changed, and now I will only be able to work on this in the afternoon and on weekends. Sorry about that]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:34:23 PM by Strifer »
“I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer,” “Civilization and fever and all the morbidness that has been hooted at me has not dimmed my glacial eye, and I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”  -John Muir

Art & Nature - all at Strifer's Art and Strifer's Photographs

Offline Bright Side

• Brighty
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Bright Side
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:14 PM »
So, like a reference guide. Nice idea, Strifer!

Also random question but how did you come up with that Username? It's cool.
Thank you to Chipster-roo for the avatar!

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:56:58 PM »
Quote from: Bright Side on Apr 10 2016, 08:01:14 AM
So, like a reference guide. Nice idea, Strifer!

Also random question but how did you come up with that Username? It's cool.
Its actually a name I used a really long time ago, when I still roleplayed a lot. I thought bringing it back might be a good idea :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:57:26 PM by Strifer »
“I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer,” “Civilization and fever and all the morbidness that has been hooted at me has not dimmed my glacial eye, and I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”  -John Muir

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:05:02 AM »
Update 2: Added sources, Owslafa, and updated Owsla.

I'm liking this more and more. I get to learn a lot more about the way Lapine is spoken while I search for these words. Unfortunately, there are no official Lapine words for warren positions other than Rah and Owsla. Oh well. I will continue to update this, I may even turn it into a dictionary.

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:47:26 PM »
Update 3: Updated Owlsa again with the Captain prefix.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:19:33 PM »
Surprised there never was something like a "right paw" for the rabbits...you know the one they could trust the most to help?  I could see Fiver being Hazel's right paw, Campion was Woundwort's in the book, pretty much the same goes for the movie, and the series.  Rabscuttle was the right paw to El-ahrairah.

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »
Quote from: Hawkbit on Apr 21 2016, 07:19:33 PM
Surprised there never was something like a "right paw" for the rabbits...you know the one they could trust the most to help?  I could see Fiver being Hazel's right paw, Campion was Woundwort's in the book, pretty much the same goes for the movie, and the series.  Rabscuttle was the right paw to El-ahrairah.
You'd be surprised to hear that I couldn't find a term to describe that, even on the Gaia Bits'n'Bobstones dictionary.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:50:16 AM »
This is a nice guide.  Good work, Strifer.

It would be interesting to know how the "captain" thing gets handled in Lapiné, I don't remember seeing any word for this is any Lapiné dictionaries.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 02:20:06 AM »
Quote from: Chipster-roo on Apr 21 2016, 08:50:16 PM
This is a nice guide.  Good work, Strifer.

It would be interesting to know how the "captain" thing gets handled in Lapiné, I don't remember seeing any word for this is any Lapiné dictionaries.
There isn't a word for Captain in Lapine, but I would assume that they would use Owsla.