Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: The Deserted Ruins of Mankind  (Read 671 times)

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Strifer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
The Deserted Ruins of Mankind
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:31:39 PM »
I woke up this fine morning and noticed a distinct lack of any abandoned places thread, so I made one! I hope this is in the right place  :huh

Anyway, this is a thread for sharing UrbEx (Urban Exploration) photos and photos of... well, abandoned places! As I have yet to go and explore any places like that myself (emphasis on yet), I will share my collection of photos that I have gathered from the internet for now.

A church in St. Etienne, France

A simple island home in Finland

Staircase to nowhere, Pismo Beach, California

Bare footprints in an abandoned nuclear reactor, unidentified location
Seriously, this is a bad idea, even if the reactor was deemed within safe levels of radiation. Anything could cut your feet and the probably irradiated and definitely dirty water would do some massive damage to you.

Soviet naval testing station in Makhachkala, Russia. I really want to go in there.

I have a lot more, but my next post on this is pretty long as it is a 75 picture post from this Reddit page.

Enjoy!
P.S. As a lover of the cordoned off zone known as Chernobyl, expect some of that from me as well on this thread.
“I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer,” “Civilization and fever and all the morbidness that has been hooted at me has not dimmed my glacial eye, and I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”  -John Muir

Art & Nature - all at Strifer's Art and Strifer's Photographs

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »
Great idea for a thread, mate! The church gave me the shivers...

Offline Strifer

• Jackrabbit
  • Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Strifer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:52:13 AM »
Quote from: Silverweed's ClawsonJun 29 2016, 07:45:14 PM
Great idea for a thread, mate! The church gave me the shivers...
Mission accomplished!
I said before that I have never explored an abandoned place, but I have had to briefly pass through a few abandoned houses during a camping trip once. Knowing that people once lived in a derelict, broken place like that really gives you the feeling that they're somehow still there, watching you.

Also, that isn't exactly true, the part about exploring abandoned places. I have actually explored an abandoned place. Fort Worden in Port Townsend, in my own state of Washington. Its an old military base that would've been used against the Japanese during WWII if they had somehow sent a battleship as far as here. Its all abandoned now, even the gun emplacements and storage warehouses (which are all underground) are mostly intact, with the exception of all the rust. As a matter of fact about 90-95% of the fort is unlocked too, but so much of it has rusted over and now certain areas are literally sealed shut because of that. There is no electricity either, so going into any of the underground parts without a flashlight renders you almost entirely blind even if its a clear day out. It is really cool to go with a few friends or family members with a flashlight and explore and climb all over the place though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:03:11 AM by Strifer »
“I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer,” “Civilization and fever and all the morbidness that has been hooted at me has not dimmed my glacial eye, and I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature’s loveliness.”  -John Muir

Art & Nature - all at Strifer's Art and Strifer's Photographs

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 05:58:35 PM »
Nature regains its land over time. Very beautiful photographs.
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Chibiscuit

• Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
I'd never heard of Urban Exploration before but I gotta say it sounds pretty cool. Those photo's are really nice. That church looks like it could be concept art for some game or something.

I looked at the post in the link too and wow so Silent Hill that place! Not sure if I'd dare go inside a building like that myself. Horror movies and games tell me that's a very bad idea. :p
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab