Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Battle of the Voices: Kehaar  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Battle of the Voices: Kehaar
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »

This one gets interesting because Keehar has three voice actors if you count the film and all three seasons of the tv series.

First, Zero Mostel was the original Keehar, and sadly he passed away before the film was released if my knowledge serves correctly, making Watership Down his final role of his career.  He gave us a ferocious squawking bird--exactly as you think of Keehar to be when you read the story.  And he is just as crude as he was in the book, with various "Damn this..." and the famous "Piss off!" comment, now probably more inappropriate than it was at the time.  Director Martin Rosen had the exact right person in mind when he sought out Mostel for the role.

When you watch the tv series, you have two distinct Keehar voices, depending on which season you are viewing.  For Season 1 and 2, Keehar was voiced by Rik Mayall and for Season 3, it was Anthony Jackson (he's done stuff for the Muppets).  Both performances of Keehar in the tv series lose the biting performance of the gull to tame him down, but that isn't necessarily the voice actor's fault if the script for a tamer version didn't call for Keehar to scream "Piss off!" at Pipkin.  While Keehar's voice may seem raspy, it not that hard to understand, and its kind of like playing Donald Duck...the harder he is to understand, the more you believe an animal without teeth is trying to speak the words.  You can practically understand Keehar from Season 3 without much trouble.

This is a no-brainer: Zero Mostel IS Keehar.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:55:03 PM by Hawkbit »

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Clover
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »
Rik Mayall. If only if he could've stayed for season 3, his season 3 voice made me glad that Keehar left for else where. Didn't care for Keehar's movie voice as much once I saw seasons 1 and 2, but more than when I started the series when I heard his season 3 voice.

Quote from: Quote:on 
the script for a tamer version didn't call for Keehar to scream "Piss off!" at Pipkin.
I would have enjoyed that. :lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:44:55 PM by Clover »

Offline Folgrimeo

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Folgrimeo
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:54:03 AM »
It's Kehaar, get it right.

I prefer Kehaar from the film. He was so delightfully off-kilter that he instantly became my favorite character, which is an accomplishment since I didn't care for him in the book. His halting speech and lack of an indoor voice (yelling when he should be whispering) went a long way to making him funny and believable.

Kehaar in the TV show (Seasons 1 and 2, never saw 3) was good, but he's not remotely like his film self. It is cute how he says Hannah as Anya, though.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:49:48 AM »
@ Folgrimeo - guess I did flub on the spelling  :doh  :doh
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:50:06 AM by Hawkbit »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
Hmm... I personally prefer Kehaar from the movie for the reasons mentioned by others. When it comes to tv-series voices of Kehaar, I vote for Rik Mayall.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Owsla-rah

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Owsla-rah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
Zero Mostel won my vote.
"The world is as bitter as the coffee I drink this Morning."-Donald E. Waters

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »
Zero Mostel all the way!! But for the TV series, I preferred the voice in the 3rd season. I found it more tolerable.
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
Film Kehaar voice is best!

When I last watched the series I thought the voice for Kehaar actually wasn't all that great. It's trying to sound a certain way but it doesn't quite work, in my opinion.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
I also prefer the movie Kehaar.

Problem with Kehaar imo: I found in both adaptions, he's too childish and declined the niveau.

But in the series, his appearance makes more sense or was used more reasonable than in the movie. Therefor, he's often too silly in the series.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Hyzenthlay69

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 03:34:14 AM »
Quote from: Hawkbit on Aug 15 2011, 08:37:50 AM

This one gets interesting because Keehar has three voice actors if you count the film and all three seasons of the tv series.

First, Zero Mostel was the original Keehar, and sadly he passed away before the film was released if my knowledge serves correctly, making Watership Down his final role of his career.  He gave us a ferocious squawking bird--exactly as you think of Keehar to be when you read the story.  And he is just as crude as he was in the book, with various "Damn this..." and the famous "Piss off!" comment, now probably more inappropriate than it was at the time.  Director Martin Rosen had the exact right person in mind when he sought out Mostel for the role.

When you watch the tv series, you have two distinct Keehar voices, depending on which season you are viewing.  For Season 1 and 2, Keehar was voiced by Rik Mayall and for Season 3, it was Anthony Jackson (he's done stuff for the Muppets).  Both performances of Keehar in the tv series lose the biting performance of the gull to tame him down, but that isn't necessarily the voice actor's fault if the script for a tamer version didn't call for Keehar to scream "Piss off!" at Pipkin.  While Keehar's voice may seem raspy, it not that hard to understand, and its kind of like playing Donald Duck...the harder he is to understand, the more you believe an animal without teeth is trying to speak the words.  You can practically understand Keehar from Season 3 without much trouble.

This is a no-brainer: Zero Mostel IS Keehar.  
I loved Zero Mostel's voice as Kehaar but then I haven't heard the voice that the series Kehaar had.  Mostel was feisty and difficult in real life as well.