Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Battle of the Voices: Pipkin  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Battle of the Voices: Pipkin
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »

Pipkin will be clearly a battle of whether you feel you need to remain faithful to how Richard Adams represented the character or if you don't mind some creative tinkering.

Roy Kinnear voiced Pipkin in the film.  Most Americans likely recognize him as the father of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  As presented in the book, Pipkin is clearly a small rabbit, but as old as Fiver, and we didn't gather either rabbit was a child...they both were young, but had already reached adulthood in rabbit years.  Therefore, neither Pipkin or Fiver was given a young voice in the film.  This is perfectly fine, as "runt" does not automatically mean "child".  Kinnear's performance, while nothing earth shattering as Pipkin didn't have a lot of speaking roles, I felt may be a tad out of place.  Smaller people typically do not have super-deep voices, and maybe that a lousy judgment on my part to expect Pipkin to have a higher pitched voice, representing his smaller stature compared to say, Bigwig.  It is what it is.

Now, you have the other side of the coin, Pipkin in the TV series where creativity clearly was at work as Pipkin was changed to a young rabbit, not yet hitting adulthood.  Elliot Henderson-Boyle provides his voice for Season 1 and 2, and possibly 3 as well, even though he isn't listed on the roster in the credits.  It sounded like the same kid though I'm seeing conflicting information on the matter.  Anyway, perhaps this change was done to minimize questioning among younger audience members why such a small rabbit had the voice of an adult.  I suppose it could seem odd, so the kid character made more sense if your audience isn't the adults that read the book.  Boyle's voice in some instances sounded like he was trying to fake the accent and force it out there (listen to him say "Oh!" a few times).  Of course that's silly because he is from the UK, but maybe this is just an example of trying too hard to voice act.  It just seemed over the top a couple of times.

The win goes to Roy Kinnear as Pipkin....I just am one of those book purists that saw Pipkin as a runt, but not a child.

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Clover
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »
Elliot Henderson-Boyle

Offline Speedwell

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Speedwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »
I really liked Elliot Henderson-Boyle. The voice of the movie Pipkin sounded like that of a sweaty nervous man in a grubby suit trying to hide the fact that someone's exciting him. :justbeinghonest: :P

By the way: in this here link >>>Link!!!<<< Does this not sound exactly like TV series Pipkin? Or am I crazy?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:15:56 PM by Speedwell »

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »
Quote from: Speedwell on Aug 15 2011, 06:15:39 PM
I really liked Elliot Henderson-Boyle. The voice of the movie Pipkin sounded like that of a sweaty nervous man in a grubby suit trying to hide the fact that someone's exciting him. :justbeinghonest: :P
:spit  :spit  :spit  :spit

Well, in those scenes Pipkin was supposed to be scared!

Quote from: Quote:on 
By the way: in this here link >>>Link!!!<<< Does this not sound exactly like TV series Pipkin? Or am I crazy?

It does....tried to see if there's any more clips of our young Pipkin online and there's not much there outside of all the WSD stuff hosted online.  There's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QmtSOvckRs  You can hear him briefly in the trailer.

Offline Speedwell

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Speedwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:25:40 AM »
^Well. I suppose in both scenarios we'd have a frightened Pipkin.
My God. I'm a horrible person.

And in reference to the link you gave: I was hearing Ian Shaw in that more than anything- though that is quite doubtful. :)

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »
I found it weird how Pipkin never seems to age through the series. Or does he in the third? They give him a child's voice, I'm going to expect him to grow. We can't assume he's a runt with a squeaky voice or whatever. It was weird that Hazel and Primrose had time to have children after all the events, yet there was Pipkin... still a child???

Anyway, I would go for the film actor's voice.
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 04:40:29 PM »
Yes, that's the Simpsons-syndrome.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)