Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Names  (Read 1367 times)

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by florapaw
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Names
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
This evening I sat down with a cup of tea and a blanket and my copy of Watership Down to reread again, and I almost cried when I was reminded that Fiver's name - Hrairoo - means "Little Thousand". I don't know why, I just thought that the name was super cute sounding. I kept reading and I really like the names Richard Adams gave his characters?

I don't know why I made this topic, I'm just curious as to what names are your favourites. As you can see, mine is definitely Fiver :)

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:44:57 PM »
Fiver is an adorable name, for such a small bunny. Almost pocket XD
In my case I love Hawckbit or Dandelion, because one is great and the second is a delicious flower for rabbits X3
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
I would probably go with Pipkin/Hlao-roo.  Also Hyzenthlay, and maybe Nyreem.  I agree that Fiver and his name are cute :fiver

One thing I noticed a while ago though: all characters are either named after plants, or Lapiné names, or their translations.  However, there is one exception: Blackavar :blackavar
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Names
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
I'm probably just lazy and uneducated on it, but what does Blackavar mean? Does it mean anything?

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
As far as I remember, the name's meaning was never explained...it's the only such name in the books :glowingsw
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Names
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
I did a quick search, and the word Blackavar doesn't even exist. It's cool that Richard Adams could make up such an interesting name, but it sucks that it literally means nothing.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
I know a lot of the rabbits are named after plants. It's fun to type in the characters names and see what they look like in plant form.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
I agree. Though Hyzenthlay's name means Shine-dew-fur, which translated means Fur shining like dew. Richard Adams was very creative in his construction of names for a number of his characters in his book.    :hyzenthlay
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:10:38 PM by Vesper »

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Names
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
Quote from: CockatielPony on Dec 24 2017, 11:58:09 AM
I know a lot of the rabbits are named after plants. It's fun to type in the characters names and see what they look like in plant form.
Riding on the back of that, I also adore the name symbolism. The names mentioned in Cowslip's warren (Cowslip, Kingcup, I believe betony and silverweed in large amounts) are all dangerous for bunnies to eat! The only one that's alright for rabbits to eat is strawberry, and he joins the buns on their journey! I don't know, I just thought that was really interesting.

Offline CockatielPony

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by CockatielPony
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 11:25:58 PM »
Quote from: florapaw on Dec 24 2017, 03:45:32 PM
Quote from: CockatielPony on Dec 24 2017, 11:58:09 AM
Riding on the back of that, I also adore the name symbolism. The names mentioned in Cowslip's warren (Cowslip, Kingcup, I believe betony and silverweed in large amounts) are all dangerous for bunnies to eat! The only one that's alright for rabbits to eat is strawberry, and he joins the buns on their journey! I don't know, I just thought that was really interesting.
That's really interesting. Clever Richard Adams.
My Youtube account is CockatielPony. Go check it out i post stuff

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »
What names would you invent, for new rabbits in the wonderful story of Watership Down?
Only for curiosity.   :blackberry3  :blackberry-buck
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Names
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 10:03:24 PM »
If I could name some cute bunnies in the book, I'd definitely use the names from my fanfic il u thanléao!! I made up some of the names and I think they're pretty cute :)
(Here are the names, because I don't think I've translated them for anyone)
Nildroo - 'Little bird'
Eanmayth - 'Old oak'
Nangeer-hain - 'Spring song'
Pathun - Lapine for bluebell
Tardrayn - Lapine for buckthorn
Marthlay - 'Long fur' (his name is more of a joke because I've chosen to translate it into 'fluffy' and I think that's adorable)
Ethetheleer - 'Lonely winter'

I will admit that a lot of my ideas read like names from the Warrior Cat universe, but I still think their Lapine counterparts are really pretty. Heck, anything written in Lapine sounds beautiful!

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 11:27:45 PM »
That's quite fascinating about the rabbits of Cowslip's warren.  Rabbits from a toxic place named after toxic plants :cowslip

Quote from: florapaw on Dec 25 2017, 05:03:24 PM
Pathun - Lapine for bluebell
Tardrayn - Lapine for buckthorn
Marthlay - 'Long fur' (his name is more of a joke because I've chosen to translate it into 'fluffy' and I think that's adorable)
Marthlay is really cute :D Are Pathun and Tardrayn the same Bluebell and Buckthorn from the original book?

Another interesting thing, I think, is that Woundwort, Campion and Vervain are all purple plants.  Purple is often associated with royalty, so this could symbolize their high ranks in Efrafa.

Offline florapaw

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Names
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 02:13:36 AM »
Oh! That makes a lot of sense! I think that's really interesting, naming all those Efrafan's after the colour. I should look up what the similarities are between all of Sandleford's rabbits to see if there's any correlation there...

As for Pathun and Tardrayn - no, not the same from the book. I think both bluebell and pathun are both super feminine sounding, and Pathun is a very soft, feminine rabbit. Tardrayn just sounded cool, and it just so happened to have the same name as the book character :D

Offline Vesper

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Names
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
:D That's cool indeed.^^ Names with meanings/translations that may indeed at times define their character. Vesper, I know means Evening, Evening Star or Evening Prayer. :P