Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!


This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: On re-reading the novel?  (Read 768 times)

Offline Hyzenthlay69

  • Dandelion
  • ****
  • Posts: 389
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
I was curious as to how many times you've read the novel, and if the second or third time around you discovered anything 'new' or a new insight into the plot and the characters. I am currently, if you have not guessed yet, rereading it :).  Sometimes I find rereading things gives me greater insight into things or subjects I might not have realized the first time around.

Offline Vesper

  • Blackberry
  • ******
  • Posts: 1220
    • Show only replies by Vesper
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
:D I figured, dear. I honestly do need to read it again and I do agree that if you reread something or watch, listen, experience a story once more, you'll catch something new and unique that you did not catch the first time.  :snowdrop2

Offline MeadowRabbit

  • Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
  • ******
  • Posts: 1192
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »
I can't remember how many times I've read it. I would make a guess at about three times. You definitely get something different out of each time. Me reading it as a young teen was a different experience to me reading it in my late 20s. Again I can't remember in a way to explain how it was different. Whichever age I'm at, I continue to appreciate the book. :D
Here lies a signature that has little point.

Offline Hyzenthlay69

  • Dandelion
  • ****
  • Posts: 389
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:21:25 AM »
I think for myself also...I didn't always understand the secondary stories...you know, The King's Lettuce and all that, so I definitely have to reread those more carefully. :P

Offline Chipster-roo

  • Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • *******
  • Posts: 4298
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:25:44 AM »
I've read it four times, if I remember correctly.  And each time, I noticed some details that I hadn't on previous readings.

I should probably read it again soon...
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!


Offline Acacia Heartstrings

  • Fiver
  • *******
  • Posts: 2223
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
I am currently trying to read the main book of Watership Down for the sixth time. I'm not lying, I'm not exaggerating either. But I have not had time.
As for the series, I've seen it about 15 times, I'm not exaggerating either. And the main reason is because in my work, I have a lot of time left to do it XD
Besides, I really appreciate this series of rabbits.   :blackberry3  :fiver  :dandelion  :frost  :hazel2  :hickory
I love Watership Down!
 
Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline Hyzenthlay69

  • Dandelion
  • ****
  • Posts: 389
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »
Quote from: Acacia Heartstrings on Jan 18 2018, 09:25:59 AM
I am currently trying to read the main book of Watership Down for the sixth time. I'm not lying, I'm not exaggerating either. But I have not had time.
As for the series, I've seen it about 15 times, I'm not exaggerating either. And the main reason is because in my work, I have a lot of time left to do it XD
Besides, I really appreciate this series of rabbits.   :blackberry3  :fiver  :dandelion  :frost  :hazel2  :hickory
I don't work so I have plenty of time to read :)  Maybe I should try the series too.

Offline Chibiscuit

  • Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • ******
  • Posts: 1606
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 12:49:55 PM »
Technically I've only read the book myself once since the first time my father read it to me when I was young. Normally, when I reread books or rewatch things, that is indeed the case. I notice different things, details, characters that I hadn't the previous (especially the first) time(s). It's fun and usually makes me like a book/series/film even more.
But in the case of WSD it had been so long I could hardly remember anything at all anyway. I simply remembered I liked it a lot (my father said I kept begging him to read more each evening so I guess I enjoyed it a lot^^)
Same with the series, watched as a kid on tv a lot and only rewatched it about 1,5 to 2 years ago now? I did remember (or rather recognize) more of the series though than the book, probably since I had seen it more often as a kid (yay for reruns?). Except S3 which was new to me. Didn't even know there was a S3 before.

I do wish I could remember who my favourite characters used to be as a kid. Because considering I had completely forgotten Vervain even existed, I doubt it was him!

Also I do plan on rereading WSD this year. Enough time has passed for it to be a 'fresh' enough experience again and really it's just too good not to. Besides I want to do it before the mini-series which I believe is scheduled for late this year (unless that's changed again).
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Chipster-roo

  • Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
  • *******
  • Posts: 4298
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 12:56:05 AM »
Welcome back to the forum Chibiscuit :)

Your post was rather thought-provoking.

Quote from: Chibiscuit on Jan 20 2018, 07:49:55 AM
Except S3 which was new to me. Didn't even know there was a S3 before.
It seems to me that there are many countries where season 3 never aired, only the first two...

Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!


Offline Chibiscuit

  • Vervain
  • Blackberry
  • ******
  • Posts: 1606
  • Captain Orchis' Loyal Spy
    • Show only replies by Chibiscuit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:58:06 AM »
Glad to be back :) (btw congrats on becoming yellow!)

Yes they only broadcast the first two seasons. I doubt S3 was ever dubbed in Dutch. But S2 seemed like a definitive end so I never really questioned it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:42:52 AM by Chibiscuit »
"You can come here, the land of warm days, grassy fields, and pleasant evenings, where even the shadow of war cannot darken the love at home." -Alderab

Offline Hyzenthlay69

  • Dandelion
  • ****
  • Posts: 389
    • Show only replies by Hyzenthlay69
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
Quote from: Chibiscuit on Jan 20 2018, 07:49:55 AM
Technically I've only read the book myself once since the first time my father read it to me when I was young. Normally, when I reread books or rewatch things, that is indeed the case. I notice different things, details, characters that I hadn't the previous (especially the first) time(s). It's fun and usually makes me like a book/series/film even more.
But in the case of WSD it had been so long I could hardly remember anything at all anyway. I simply remembered I liked it a lot (my father said I kept begging him to read more each evening so I guess I enjoyed it a lot^^)
Same with the series, watched as a kid on tv a lot and only rewatched it about 1,5 to 2 years ago now? I did remember (or rather recognize) more of the series though than the book, probably since I had seen it more often as a kid (yay for reruns?). Except S3 which was new to me. Didn't even know there was a S3 before.

I do wish I could remember who my favourite characters used to be as a kid. Because considering I had completely forgotten Vervain even existed, I doubt it was him!

Also I do plan on rereading WSD this year. Enough time has passed for it to be a 'fresh' enough experience again and really it's just too good not to. Besides I want to do it before the mini-series which I believe is scheduled for late this year (unless that's changed again).
Your father READ it to you? That must have taken a good long while.

Offline StoryMing

  • Hlessi
  • *
  • Posts: 36
    • Show only replies by StoryMing
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Re: On re-reading the novel?
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 01:05:46 AM »
I've reread the book numerous times- love it!- and I've also seen and like the movie, I know nothing about the series other than that it exists.

I did indeed make one MAJOR surprise discovery, about my umpteenth time reading it. --I've created a new discussion topic about it on this board, in fact.

Strawberry, and his reasons for leaving Cowslip's warren.

I had always figured he saw his chance to get out, away from the snares, and he was desperate to take it. It took a long time before it dawned on me what had happened to his doe, Nildro-hain.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:07:23 AM by StoryMing »