Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Blackberry is a doe, don't you know  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Hickory

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Hickory
    • View Profile
Blackberry is a doe, don't you know
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »
Quote from: Acacia Heartstrings on May 6 2018, 09:55:07 AM
For something Blackberry is a love. I read the comments, she could not stay as a couple with any rabbit in the band, because she did not fall in love with any of them, there was no chemistry ... That is for the purpose of the series, but in real life the rabbits fight for the couple, as explained in the Watership Down book, but in the series they focused on finding friends to enlarge the burrow.   :blackberry2
Maybe due to the intelligence of Blackberry, all the other rabbits she considered them something simple, until she met Captain Campion. A strong and prepared leader. The decision was taken.

Good theory and despite the fact that Blackberry kind of falls in love with Campion at first glance in the Season 2 finale, there was a line she said about hearing stories of him. Maybe that too played a part in her love development with him because she heard about his bravery and meeting him in the fur kind of jumpstarted her affection for this brave buck from Efrafa who’s not like most of the cruel rabbits like Woundwort and Vervain?

Offline ZAlcyoneus

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by ZAlcyoneus
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Re: Blackberry is a doe, don't you know
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »
Hmmm. To be honest when I first saw the series (on youtube mind you since I live in the states) and saw that Blackberry was a doe in the tv series (which I had never heard about until then) I was like "Blackberry is a buck, not a doe".   I was also upset with the animation as they look...uhh...cartoonish to me instead of like real rabbits.  That is one thing I liked about the CGI version of Watership Down (though that could have been longer), that they actually looked like rabbits. 

I will need to rewatch the series at some point but it does seem a bit odd, in the dynamic of things, that the bucks would not be fighting over the only doe (and then when Clover is rescued) two does and thinking about strengthening the warren in this manner. I mean that is why they rescued Clover after all.  As for Blackberry/Campion romance...that kind of popped up out of nowhere and I wonder if that was done deliberately to give Campion more screen time.  Blackberry seems kind of shunted to the sidelines during the first two seasons (minus when I think she still finds the board that Pipkin and Fiver use to get across the water at the beginning) until the 3rd season which is disappointing from a book standpoint, given-at least to moi-Blackberry was such an important character within the book.

Then again, despite season 3 being the darkest out of the series (I thought), it is a children's show. And one that should really be released on region 0/internationally and remastered in Hi-Def.

Offline Norma

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by Norma
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
Re: Blackberry is a doe, don't you know
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 07:38:09 AM »
I'm more surprised at Blackberry's sudden color change. He/She used to be identifiyable by the darker brown ear tips, and now Fiver and Hazel have them, and she's grey.

I was annoyed at the sudden gender change for the same reasons here, so I can't add much else, but I can see why they wanted to include more does.