Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Your first contact with Watership Down  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Your first contact with Watership Down
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
Couldn't found a topic about this  :blink

How do you get in contact with Watership Down?

When I was young, I had not really something like music taste. I heard a crappy eurodance/techno cover version of Bright Eyes, and I liked it. Of course, sooner or later a came in contact with Art Garfunkels original version of the song and I loved it.

Then (I must be 12 or 13) I've read from an interesting movie in the tv magazine: Unten am Fluss (which you all know as Watership Down). I've recorded the movie on VHS and I loved it. It was dark, filthy, brutal and the best: It has this wonderful title song. So Watership Down become one of my alltime favorites (which should be bought on DVD later, of course).

In 2000, the german tv channel SuperRTL broadcasted the first episode of the tv series on an sunday. Of course I must watch it and I fell in love with the series. And because of perfect program planning, the tv series must be broadcasted from monday till friday, when I was in school. Fortunately, UK got the whole series on DVD. I bought it and Watership Down became my favorite (non-japanese) animated television series (closely spaced by the Animals of Farthing Wood).

Of course, I must buy both books. And while normally a movie or tv series desaturates against the novel (take Lord of the Rings for example), I began to love the series even more.

We all know, where this fanatic relationship to Watership Down has ended *cough*cough*SIGNATURE*cough* :D

So, how do you become a Watershipper?  :wave

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Owsalfa

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Owsalfa
    • View Profile
    • http://owsalfa.tumblr.com
  • Favorite WD media: The series
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »
Hmm...lets see if I can remember. My memory is dreadful so my dates are a little shaky.

It was definitely the movie that got me interested in Watership. I had heard of it someplace before, possibly from one of my parents or a friend - I can't remember. I watched it on Youtube around...2007 maybe? Maybe 2008. I watched it a few times from 2007/08 and then learned that the film was based on a book, so I bought that and started loving Watership ten times more. Maybe a year, or a few years later, I learned that there was a TV series, so I watched it and fell utterly in love it. I bought the boxset a little while later, and looked for other things about WSD to buy. I didn't have any money to buy merchandise then...but I do now. It all started with that boxset XD
I had no idea that there was a sequel to the book until after I'd watched the series and stuff.
owsalfa.tumblr

Offline Hrair thlay

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Hrair thlay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »
It was a few years ago, I basically had little to nothing left to read of books, my parents had Watership down and thought I should read it, was a little skeptical, but then I just thought why not and read it, I do NOT regret that decision, pretty much best book I've read.

Offline Keeralie Starflight

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keeralie Starflight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »
My parents did what a lot of parents have done. They saw the movie in the library and thought 'Look, a movie about bunnies! This will be fine for our girls to see.' I was about eight and my sister was four. Lucky for us, my dad's friend was there, and right after Fiver's vision, he goes 'I think I'm gonna have nightmares.' So I was spared from being traumatized.

Four years later, I got obsessed with Redwall. And every time you watch Redwall on Youtube, at least one episode of WSD pops up. So me and my dad are like 'What is this?' So we clicked it, and I got hooked. The end.
"What would you give to save your friends? To save Watership Down?"

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
I actually can't remember what got me started with Watership down.  You would think that I could remember it. I know that I read the book first and watched the movie after and didn't find it to be a bad adaptation.  This was all about 2003 and I put a couple of websites online about Watership down. I joined up with Inle-rah and worked with her on her wsd forum in 2004. Basically the next five years I didn't watch or do much else wsd related except post on the forum.  When inle's forum shut down I disappeared from the wsd online community.  I came back in 2011 with this forum hoping I wsd fans were still out there.  I convinced myself to watch the tv series in 2012 and found it wasn't as bad as I feared looking like a Disney cartoon. And here we are today.  :)

Offline Indi-Rah

• Silver
    • Show only replies by Indi-Rah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »
For me, it started a little differently.

I, personally, had never even heard of it for quite a long time. My taste in books was weak at best, and I liked Erin Hunter's Warriors. I somehow managed to stumble upon TVTropes - Now, I haven't a clue how. But I stumbled upon its page for Warriors, somehow, and I read through it. I didn't really understand it all, and after troping for some time, I revisited the page.

I read the summary of the books I knew well, and I noted that it said this: ...These books are about as child-friendly as Watership Down. ...
First time I read that, I shrugged it off, assuming it was a story about a boat or something. Then I clicked the link to the book.

I read some of the summary, and honestly, never had interest in the book until I was wandering through the book story, and again, stumbled upon it. I looked up at the sign, and realized I was in the adult section, so I flipped through it curiously, but saw nothing to really discourage me, so I bought it.

So I finished and I fell in love. I found the movie, and adored it, not even knowing what I was getting into. I was impressed by it! So after I finished, I noted the first episode, and, expecting something fanmade, watched it.

I HATED it. I didn't give it a second chance. I abhorred it.

You know, until you all coerced me into giving it another try. xD I'm okay with it now, but it is still my least favorite. So, all in all, just a bunch of coincidences strung together led me to WsD.
"My chief rabbit told me to defend this run... And until he says otherwise, that's what I'll do."

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
How I found Watership Down? It was a really lucky find while on one of my usual, random internet sprees (where I just look up anything and everything that catches my interest). I had absolutely no knowledge of Watership Down before 2011. I was just surfing forums about The land Before Time and other movie's like that, and they constantly mentioned some movie called Watership Down that was supposed to be really dark and violent. Considering I grew up with mostly Disney and Disneyesque movie's, this sparked my interest. So I found it on YouTube and...... I'm pretty sure you guys know the rest from there.
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Once upon a time, during my early teenage years, I saw one or two episodes of WSD tv-series. At the time it didn't get me interested (I was more into Animals of Farthing Woods then).
Several years later I watched the WSD movie on Youtube, although I can't remember how I come across it, but I'm glad I did. I liked it so much, that I decided to buy a book, which I read and liked too. After that I watched the whole tv series.

I kept my interest with Watership Down through its page on Fanfiction.net, some fanpages (like Thank U Stars | http://www.thankustars.co.uk/ ) and occasional forum RP.

Couple of years more and Hawkbit created this forum and here I am. :)
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Heh, here's me thinking everyone's known Watership Down as long as I have, if not longer because we're all around the same age.  :wacko   Talk about bad assumptions.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:05:41 AM by Hawkbit »

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Since tv-series were aired for the first time in Poland from 1999 to 2001, then this is the time of my first contact with Watership Down. It's probably 2001, because I only saw one or two episodes from third season.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline El-ahrairah

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by El-ahrairah
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 01:55:57 AM »
Last year, some friends on a forum were talking about Watership Down; but I had no interest whatsoever in it. Later, I found the tv series on youtube, downloaded it, but didn't watch it. Then, this year, I was buying books when I thought: "Why not try Watership Down?" so I bought the book, and now I've fallen in love with it. XD

(I'm currently watching the series)

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »
And what's your opinion to the series so far?

I'm really curious :) because many people, who liked the book hated the series.

Offline El-ahrairah

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »
It doesn't compare to the book, but it's still pretty good.  ;)

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »
But you're not yet finished with series, or?

Offline El-ahrairah

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
Not at all! :lol  I'm just at the sixth episode of the first season.