Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: The Prisoner of Efrafa  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
The Prisoner of Efrafa
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »
Prisoner of Efrafa

This is the best episode in the series as far as I'm concerned. This is where Woundwort became a more interesting character. His interactions with Pipkin and his overall relationship with him is great. The rest of the cast is great, Campion and Vervain especially. But Woundwort's development here is the best in the series and this is what makes this episode shine for me. This is also the episode that convinced me that the show was far better than the movie.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:53:20 PM by Keith »
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Prisoner of Efrafa
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »
I wouldn't say, that it's THE best episode, but together with "The Shadow of Efrafa", it's one of the best episodes.

We see another side of Woundwort. We see, that he isn't evil, but afraid. We know now his past.

And of course, this episode has an amazing dialogue between Pipkin and Woundwort:

Quote from: Quote:on 
War isn't the way, General.
It's the only way I know

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
The Prisoner of Efrafa
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:46:45 AM »
Basically due to this section, I decided to watch this episode again.  I do find it a peculiar episode as the writers decided to explain a bit more about General Woundwort and his backstory.  I don't feel one episode suddenly gives me the idea that the series is better than the film as Keith says, but at least it doesn't ignore the main plot and it gives for reason why the general continues to fight.  A few episodes from the series definitely ignore the main plot and drama between Efrafa/Darkhaven/Watership Down and those episodes bite.  This one actually I liked. :)  The only thing I really didn't like was talking with bats....you would assume their echolocation and screech would be far too high for a rabbit to hear. :p  Yet I find nothing wrong with rabbits communicating with mice, gulls, hedgehogs..... :rolleyes

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The Prisoner of Efrafa
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »
But the bats did some nice tactical maneuvers, so integrate them into the series wasn't a bad idea, for my opinion ;)

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline MeadowRabbit

• Raw carrot? Yes, please!
  • Blackberry
    • Show only replies by MeadowRabbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
  • I speak:
Re: The Prisoner of Efrafa
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »
Now on the second series! (My, I'm getting through these so slowly.)

I don't know why bats would help them out - I kind of see them as very much about themselves. Kind of get why the other animals might ('fellow small critters'), after persuasion from Hannah.

It was interesting to see Woundwort get some more backstory, and also that he was fairly patient with Pipkin.  :woundwort2  :pipkin Pipkin seems very young in this episode - why was he ever old enough to be trained up as owsla with Bigwig?  :hannah4

Okay episode.
Here lies a signature that has little point.