Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Vervain  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Vervain
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:08:40 PM »
Unbelievable, that we haven't yet a topic about one of the greatest characters in the series (I want to confine myself on the series version): Vervain  :exactly

I really love him. He is an amazing character. He appears funny and amusing (for example, when Pipkin commands him in Efrafa: "Hop on a leg and bleat like a sheep" - or something like that  :D )

But then, he is bad to the bone; and devious and insidious. He is gutless and seeks the safety in Efrafa, nearby Woundwort.

Woundwort acts like he acts because of fear, Vervain acts like he acts, well... because he's evil, I would say.

And then, he could have become good. Remember the beginning of the third season: He was straying around, got nearly killed (serveral times) and was saved by Watership Down in the end. And maybe, he really could have changed... IF he wouldn't have met Woundwort.

Again, he becomes Woundworts servant, but more of fear than of loyalty. In Darkhaven, he dispenses his rank to Granite; but again, he returns to his old place near Woundwort because he couldn't stand alone against the Darkhaven warriors (and they all wanted to fight :D ).

So let's talk about one of the greatest rabbits of all :)

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Keith
    • View Profile
Vervain
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:31:55 AM »
I'll vouch for good old Vervain. He's by far one of the most entertaining characters in the series. He's got one of those so loathsome but ya love him anyway personalities. Oh sure he can be intimidating when he wants to be, but his attempts at grabbing more power than he deserved always amused.

As a matter of fact, I'd say he's the most dangerous character in the series. Woundwort may be physically unstoppable and quite clever himself, but he always listened to Campion, who was betraying him. If Woundwort has listened to Vervain from the start he would won right off the bat. Vervain, for all his faults, has a good nose for treachery.

During the last 4 or 5 episodes of season 3 were where he really shined, and one of the reasons I love season 3 so much.
"Mercy is for Fools, the dead shall lie where I powned them!!"

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

Offline Capt. Rake Nightfur

• Eulalia!
  • Hawkbit
  • Come up here so I can hit you with my sword!
    • Show only replies by Capt. Rake Nightfur
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • I speak:
Vervain
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 06:10:46 AM »
He was a noticeably more complex character than a lot of the others in the series, and I think the voice actor for him was well chosen and reflected his slightly winey, yet evil personality quite well.
I've missed this place.
Check out my Deviant Art page. But only if you feel like it.

Offline Foxbrow

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Foxbrow
    • View Profile
Vervain
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
Yes, Vervain (in the series) is not only more complex to the other characters, and it is mostly for the development of changing the situations he got into, like the high position in Efrafa, being left alone in the wild or trying to survive in Darkhaven despite being physically weak. He is also much more complex when compared to the Vervain in the book, where he is merely mentioned as a figure in the background.
What I love about him the most is, that he is actually not evil, he is just "deformed" by the society he was raised and live in. He is just the typical rabbit of Efrafa.
Here I am talking more about the book, but it goes for the series pretty well too. In Efrafa the rabbit could be either the lord (owsla) or a slave. And Woundwort wanted all the rabbits to be ambitious, to lose the fear of elil and work on themselves to get stronger, to get to the owsla and eventually be honored by joining one of the wide patrol with Woundwort himself (and eventually got killed in the action if not being good enough)
Varvain knows too good he is a weak fighter, but that does not decrease his ambitions, no it only makes him to find other ways...

Ahh, too much for dicussion. I just got an idea, a little twisted but still interesting to present. Vervain seems to me be the same for Efrafa what is Silverweed for Cowslip's warren. Let's say that at normal circumstances Silverweed could be a sensitive but still a pretty normal rabbit. Who knows, even a poet or just a storyteller. But the constant threat and the hidden group stress in the warren made him so eerie. And the same happened to Vervain. If living in a normal warren, he could be perhaps a smart rabbit, who can always guess the true intentions of other rabbits, so he could be a great advisor not only to the chief rabbit. But due to the setting of Efraffa he just had to be evil...

(pretty long text, I surprise myself)
"There's another place -- another country, isn't there? We go there when we sleep; at other times, too; and when we die."

Offline Foxbrow

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Foxbrow
    • View Profile
Vervain
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
Also, I think it is great to use Vervain icon for displaying the users online. It really gives the feel he is spying on us.
"There's another place -- another country, isn't there? We go there when we sleep; at other times, too; and when we die."

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Vervain
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »
Hehe. First, I wanted to use Bigwig and Holly for statistics. But Campion and Vervain make more sense for me, because Efrafa is the only warren, where something like a statistic would be useful. ;)

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Vervain
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:04:37 AM »
Vervain is peculiar.  He had basically no role in the book, and basically died off once Woundwort was defeated since he had nothing to go back to at Efrafa without the general, and even Woundwort knew that.  He wasn't really present in the film (good luck picking him out of the inbred clones).  So that leaves the TV series.  This is a character they got right. :)

The book doesn't give much, except that Vervain is very much a scheming and hated rabbit at Efrafa.  He is exactly that in the series.  He isn't liked by really anyone, but like the book, he only has the power he does because Woundort likes his ability to remove emotion from situations and that is why he is so evil, because he cannot care.  Season 3 brings this into question as Vervain becomes less evil (in my view) and more of a smartass (for the lack of a better term at the moment).  He's Darkhaven's Hawkbit.  Its ok, though I think Vervain played the better bad guy than the wisecracker.

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Vervain
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:02:25 AM »
You know something, the show really did get the villains right. Woundwort, Vervain, Campion (well, villain at first, then a good guy turncoat), and hell even Cowslip. I find it funny that in the book, Campion and Vervain are basically exactly how they are in the show. Vervain the scheming cowardly owsla captain that only had power because of Woundwort. And Campion is the loyal rabbit that's exceptional at tracking and fighting and actually has Woundwort's respect. And he even becomes an ally to hazel and watership down in the end. This was them stripped to the bare minimum, but the show took these two beyond what the book did, and they just got it right 100% (well, maybe not 100% but still pretty damn good.)

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Vervain
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »
Yes, the creators of the series did some global changes, but they always kept the spirit of the book. That's the reason, why the series is so good.

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
Vervain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »
Vervain is a character: Evil, funny and witty. I like pretty despite being so negative. The Efrafa born to serve and submit to the orders of their general, a ruthless captain, hardly something eluded him. And unintentionally hilarious.

I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Vervain
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
:spit  :spit  :spit

Offline s-tlk

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by s-tlk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.s-tlk.org/
Vervain
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
Vervain is a sneaky little weasel, so I think he is the most dangerous opponent to the Watership Down rabbits, even worse than Woundwort. In contrast to Vervain, Woundwort is more predictable, who relies on a strange sense of honor in battle and on strength. On the other hand, Vervain has his large ears everywhere in the burrow and you can never be sure when you're planing something, that Vervain is not around listening. But then he don't take action and let the rest of the Oswla or Woundwort himself deal with the situation.
In some sense, he has the true power and Woundwort is a fool when he was not listening to him, although he knows that Vervain is completely addicted to him and has a nose for conspiracies (even known and mentioned by Woundwort).

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Vervain
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »
In defense of Woundwort: he could have assumed that Vervain is constantly suspicious of Campion simply because the former is prejudiced against/envious of the latter and not because he might be right to distrust Campion. Although one would expect Woundwort to be more sceptic of Campion's desire to join him after already being betrayed by him once. What's the saying? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"?
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Keith

• Dandelion
    • View Profile
Vervain
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 01:21:33 AM »
Vervain may have had a nose for treachery, was a lot smarter than Woundwort gave him credit for, and Woundwort was a fool for not listening to him, but Vervain sure didn't make it easy for Woundwort to listen. Another amusing side to Vervain.

Youtube Channel
My Tumblr
My Facebook
My Twitter
My Blog

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Vervain
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 04:07:32 AM »
Quote from: Keith on Apr 9 2014, 09:21:33 PM
...but Vervain sure didn't make it easy for Woundwort to listen. Another amusing side to Vervain.
"Sceppa Leppa Diligous!!!"  :D