Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: The spirits of Redstone  (Read 717 times)

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
The spirits of Redstone
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »
Got an funny idea:

When Primrose and Hazel arrived in Redstone, Captain Broom was talking to other rabbits in Redstone, who aren't really there. A long time, I was thinking, he imagined that because of the long loneliness.

Later, Hazel said to Primrose, that the spirits of Redstone kept her alive in Efrafa and that she has now a home in Watership Down. And he begs her to let the spirits go. Then, Captain Broom joined them and said: "Where is everyone? They are all gone. That's strange."

I wonder if the spirits really stayed in Redstone, protecting Captain Broom and waiting for Primroses return. When Captain Broom joined Watership Down, the spirits have no matter to stay there, so they are free now.

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The spirits of Redstone
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
Considering we have some supernatural elements in tv series (magic, Fiver's and Silverweed's powers, Black Rabbit), then it's not very far-fetched that spirits of the dead would stay with Captain Broom until he meets living rabbits. That would be similar to the role Bluebell played in the book, where his company and jokes kept Holly moving until they reached Watership Down. The difference is that Bluebell was alive and not the spirit (or just figment of imagination), but he might had been - like spirits of Redstone were for Broom - the only reason Holly didn't give up on living.

Of course, it's possible, if not more likely, that Broom was really imagining seeing rabbits who had been long dead. It could had been his brain's way of protecting itself from facing grim reality of living in empty warren. Without this illusion he might had fallen into deep depression and maybe even committed suicide.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The spirits of Redstone
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »
I thought the whole years, it was his imagination.

But I found it interesting: Hazel said to Primrose, that she should let the spirits leave and live in Watership Down with him. And exactly then, Captain Broom said "Everyone is gone. That's strange".

Offline Capt. Rake Nightfur

• Eulalia!
  • Hawkbit
  • Come up here so I can hit you with my sword!
    • Show only replies by Capt. Rake Nightfur
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • I speak:
The spirits of Redstone
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
Quote from: Darkling Nocturnal on Aug 11 2014, 03:58:49 AM

But I found it interesting: Hazel said to Primrose, that she should let the spirits leave and live in Watership Down with him. And exactly then, Captain Broom said "Everyone is gone. That's strange".
And they didn't disappear as soon as Hazel and Primrose got there, Broom was still talking to them for a while after their arrival.
I've missed this place.
Check out my Deviant Art page. But only if you feel like it.

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
The spirits of Redstone
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »
Yes, they disappear first, when the three wanted to leave Redstone.