Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 999 times)

Offline Bluebell

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Bluebell
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Hello
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:40:25 AM »
Hi, I'm very happy to see this forum. It looks like a warm burrow where we can get together from time to time and tell some stories. I'm a 34 year old student (married, male) and I like alot of different things. Spicy food (vegetarian), Books (Salinger and Proust are my favorite), Movies (Grew up with Star Wars, Pink Panther) Music (Underworld and Genesis are my favs) TV (The Mighty Boosh, Project Runway) Video Games (Silent Hill, Animal Crossing) I would like to eventually stage Watership Down as it was done a few years back in London. This will take time and permission of course. It's fun to dream though.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Bluebell. :)

I didn't know, that there was a theatrical production of Watership Down. Did anyone recorded it on video by any chance?
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Bluebell

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »
Myrkin, I just found this actually:

http://suchabooknerd.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/watership-down-presented-by-lifeline-theatre/

A new adaption now.

However another theatre company had done their own in 2007. The Lyric Hammersmith theatre company. I could find a link for that to if you're interested. As far as videos go I'm not sure. It never hurts to ask though.

Offline Campion1

• Great Frith above!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Campion1
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »
That actually looks really cool.

Good to see another fan of the novel here. I welcome you.

Offline Bluebell

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »
Quote from: Campion1 on May 9 2011, 05:30:55 AM
That actually looks really cool.

Good to see another fan of the novel here. I welcome you.
Hey, thanks. I love the book. That production does look cool and it's going to be playing until late June in Chicago, so if anybody from the mid-west wants to check it out here's another heads up:

http://www.lifelinetheatre.com/performances/10-11/watership/index.shtml

One particular detail of note is that they're not using bunny costumes and masks until the El-ahrairah folktales are told and enacted. I'm not sure if Dandelion talks over mimed acting, or they just implement dialogue for El-ahrairah and Prince Rainbow etc.

Also here's a Lyric Hammersmith production review link from 06':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2006/nov/29/theatre1

Both of these productions opted to scratch the bunny costumes to reach out to a more adult audience. My idea would be to create costumes that would be somewhere between human and rabbit without just making the actors look like strange creatures or furry cute mascots. Difficult to conceive and difficult to design, I'll have alot on my plate if I ever get to that point.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Hello
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:53 PM »
Hmm... It looks like I will have to visit either London or Chicago some day. :P
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Bluebell

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
Quote from: Myrkin on May 9 2011, 10:42:53 AM
Hmm... It looks like I will have to visit either London or Chicago some day. :P
Well London's run ended in 2007 I think. However in Chicago it's just starting. I'd love to go. I live in Northern Michigan so it's a possiblity for me. It's still a long haul though. Time, money, and gas are the big three words that go hand in hand in any talk of summer vacation. At 30 some dollars per ticket though its sorta pricey but doable.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
Hello
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »
30 dollars? That's not a small price. I doubt I could afford that plus costs of travel from Poland to Chicago and back. Not to mention, it would be extremely wasteful to go all this way for one theatre production. Maybe I will see it some day, but not in the near future.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Hello
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 05:13:56 PM »
Hello and welcome! :wave  I've heard of the play in the past, and based on photos it looks similar to the Lion King in some aspects.

Offline Bluebell

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
Quote from: Hawkbit on May 10 2011, 01:13:56 PM
Hello and welcome! :wave  I've heard of the play in the past, and based on photos it looks similar to the Lion King in some aspects.
Yeah, good association. Julie Taymor's "Lion King" had those interesting masks that rested on top of the actors heads suspended with poles. I never saw the production unfortunately, just the photos. I saw parts of Julie Taymor's Oedipus though, and that was crazy cool.

Offline Bluebell

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »
Quote from: Myrkin on May 9 2011, 11:24:50 AM
30 dollars? That's not a small price. I doubt I could afford that plus costs of travel from Poland to Chicago and back. Not to mention, it would be extremely wasteful to go all this way for one theatre production. Maybe I will see it some day, but not in the near future.
Wow Poland? That's awesome. Yeah, 30$ is kinda pricey. I'm trying to see professional theatre in Stratford Ontario this summer and shows their range from 76-100$ per ticket. Unless it's community theatre or a smaller venue, watching shows is an expensive hobby.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
Hello
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »
^ Most definitely...there will be a local production of Beauty in the Beast that I plan to see.  Didn't get to catch it on Broadway.

Offline Bluebell

• Pipkin
    • View Profile
Hello
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
Quote from: Hawkbit on May 10 2011, 05:53:39 PM
^ Most definitely...there will be a local production of Beauty in the Beast that I plan to see.  Didn't get to catch it on Broadway.
I did see Beauty And The Beast when I was in Junior College 97' in Minneapolis. It was the Broadway touring show and it was excellent. The best part was, it only cost 15 dollars for the bus ride down from Northern Minnesota (where I lived at the time) plus theatre tickets due to a group+student rate. I hope the local production is fun and they can capture some of the magic I saw.