Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Translated Names  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
Translated Names
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
I don't know if this is true for EVERY version of the book, but the Spanish edition (coincidentally, the one I'm currently reading) has taken the liberty of translating the names of the rabbits -but left the places alone... thank Frith!-.

Some of the "new" names are literal translations; others are some sort of wordplay... and the rest don't make any sense whatsoever nor do they fall in any of the previous categories (and are quite amazing as a result).

Hazel = Avellano (literal translation. And a classy one, I shall add).

Fiver = Quinto (Ok, first of all... that's NOT how you translate "Fiver" into Spanish and, even though someone DOES mention that he is the fifth generation or something along those lines, this still seems like a desperate move by the translators -FYI: "Fiver" is commonly used to refer to a five dollar bill in Spanish-).

Bigwig = Pelucòn (Wordplay... it works).

Blackberry = Zarzamora (I LOVE this one... not only it is a literal translation, but it gives new energy to the name while being faithful to the original. I absolutely adore the change here).

Strawberry = Fresòn (Literal translation).

Dandelion = Diente de Leòn (Same as Blacberry).

Hawkbit = Pico de Halcòn (Same as Fiver).

Silver = Plateado (Literal translation).

Holly = Acebo (Literal translation).

BlueBell = Campanilla (Literal translation... although, kind of an embarrassing one).

Silverweed = Argentina (I'm not even kidding).

Campion = Campeòn (Literal Translation).

Buckthorn = Espino Cerval (Literal Translation).

Pipkin = Puchero (It truly fits).

Cowslip = Prìmula (Literal translation... although, the same word can be used to describe "Primrose", so I don't know if it was specifically Cowslip -he was in charge of the Shinning Wire, though-).

Vulneraria = Woundwort (It does seem to be a literal translation, although I would have doubt it if it wasn't for the fact that he was acknowledged as "General" in the book).

Clover = Trèbol (Literal translation).

Hyzenthlay = Not translated.

Blackavar = Negroso (Literal translation... sort of).

Vervain = Vervana (Literal translation).

(I haven't been able to identify a couple of Sandlefort rabbits who went by the names of "Bellota" and "Verònica". They both make it to Watership Down and are referred as bucks, even though the later is clearly feminine in Spanish. There was also an Owsla member from Sandlefort who went by the name of "Linaria" and I have also yet to identify its English counterpart).

Offline Darkling Nocturnal

• Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Darkling Nocturnal
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
  • I speak:
Translated Names
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
In the german version, they used the english names (at least, I can't remember a german translation for a name).

Kneel down before the greatness of Darkling's dark ... ... ... Darkness!!!
(note to myself: I need a new scriptwriter) (Avatar by Silverweed's Claws)

Offline Claws

• Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
  • Wisteria Owl
    • Show only replies by Claws
    • View Profile
    • IceDragonNET
  • Favorite WD media: The series
  • I speak:
Translated Names
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »
Yeah, I thought that this was exclusive for the Spanish version. Somehow.

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Chipster-roo
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6400714/Chipster-roo
  • Favorite WD media: The book
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
Translated Names
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »
Verònica is Speedwell.  Bellota is Acorn.  Linaria is probably Toadflax as, if I remember correctly, he is the only Sandleford owsla member that is given a name, other than Holly.
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Thanks to Rosie Willowwater for the avatar!!

Offline Lord of the Lough

• Dandelion
    • Show only replies by Lord of the Lough
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198127430080
Translated Names
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 04:31:01 PM »
It's so interesting to see how other languages have adapted English stories into their language. Why is Silverweed called Argentina anyway? :p

Quote from: Clawson 
-FYI: "Fiver" is commonly used to refer to a five dollar bill in Spanish-
We call five-pound notes fivers in the UK too.
pyro is bae
memes 2k16
This sound is giving for the postman
Another one that's feeling under orange skies
The summer sleeps in time for autumn
Sticking down your leaves on grass
And I don't know just where we've got to go
small loan
original meme

Offline Acacia Heartstrings

• Fiver
    • Show only replies by Acacia Heartstrings
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
  • I speak:
Translated Names
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 02:33:24 AM »
Before seeing this, I spend time to identify almost all the characters. For some reason not try hard enough translators in that regard and only use pun.
I love Watership Down!

Everything is fine =) (?)

Offline FiverHrairoo

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by FiverHrairoo
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
Re: Translated Names
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
Here are the names of the Finnish translation:

Hazel = Pähkinä ("nut").

Fiver = Viikka (viisi is Five in Finnish, so it has come from it).

Bigwig = Isopää ("bighead").

Blackberry = Vatukka (Literal translation).

Dandelion = Voikukka (Literal translation).

Pipkin = Liutti (means at least "lippi", that is to say, a birch bark container).

Hawkbit = Maitiainen (Literal translation).

Silver = Hopea (Literal translation).

Holly = Rautatammi ("holm oak" or "holly oak").

Buckthorn = Paatsama (Literal translation).

Speedwell = Tädyke (Literal translation).

Acorn = Tammenterho (Literal translation).

Toadflax = Kannusruoho (Literal translation).

Bluebell = Sinikello (Literal translation).

Cowslip = Esikko ("primrose" or "primula", more literal translation would be "kevätesikko").

Strawberry = Mansikka (Literal translation).

Silverweed = Hopeahanhikki ("silver cinquefoil").

Clover = Apila (Literal translation).

Haystack = Suova (Pretty literal translation).

Boxwood = Puksi (Pretty literal translation).

Woundwort = Ratamo ("plantain" or "fleawort").

Campion = Kohokki (Literal translation).

Chervil = Kirveli (Literal translation).

Vervain = Rautayrtti (Literal translation).

Groundsel = Villakko (Literal translation).

Avens = Kellukka (Literal translation).

Orchis = Kämmekkä (Literal translation).

Thunder = Tähtimö ("starwort", "stitchwort" or "chickweed").

Blackavar = Mustikki (Black is musta in Finnish).

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 08:41:28 PM »
This is very interesting :) The Finnish translation seems overall much more accurate than the Spanish one.  I assume the Lapiné names, like Hyzenthlay and Nildro-hain, are left unchanged?

Cowslip = Esikko ("primrose" or "primula", more literal translation would be "kevätesikko").
This could get very interesting in the TV series :primrose :cowslip

Woundwort must have a lot of fleas :woundwort
Have you considered making each day count - doing something meaningful each day - instead of letting the days and weeks and months and years fly into oblivion? --Bright Side

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Silver
  • Shadowrabbit from Finland - Give snuggles to pass!
    • Show only replies by Varjokani
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
This is very interesting :) The Finnish translation seems overall much more accurate than the Spanish one.  I assume the Lapiné names, like Hyzenthlay and Nildro-hain, are left unchanged?

This could get very interesting in the TV series :primrose :cowslip

Woundwort must have a lot of fleas :woundwort

I actually did my secondary school's last years study about differences between book and the tv-series and I ran into this problem. I have to use English names for them, just because the Finnish version of the tv-series cut out the part where Cowslip was.  And you can imagine my confusion when first time seeing Escape from Efrafa Finnish dub. Hazel drooling for "Cowslip" made me feell I was hearing and seeing things and becoming crazy.

Also in the old movie's Finnish dub they dubbed Hyzenthlay into Silverweed. So this stuff really has been weird in Finnish versions of of the Watership down.
~Varjokani, that darker side of Campion. Plz gimme a hug or I steal ur cookies. Nya |Shadowrabbit dA

Offline Kili

• Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Kili
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 02:56:39 PM »
For the plant names, a good thing to do would be to get a good British field guide book because woundwort and fleawort are completely different plants in English.

Fleawort - https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/field-fleawort

Woundwort - https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/hedge-woundwort

Cowslip - https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/cowslip

Primrose - https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/primrose

Holm Oak - https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/evergreen-oak-holm-oak

Holly - https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/holly

For the translation, you would have to look for the scientific name of the plant and then then cross reference it with a field guide to whatever it is you're trying to translate it to.

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Silver
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • I speak:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
I just noticed that Fiverhrairoo has made one error there. Actually Finnish word Ratamo means plantain, not fleaworth.  In Finland we know Ratamo as healing herb that we massage between our hands and place it over open wounds. That is interesting.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:20:35 PM by Varjokani »
~Varjokani, that darker side of Campion. Plz gimme a hug or I steal ur cookies. Nya |Shadowrabbit dA

Offline Chipster-roo

• Growing Tree
  • Council of Chiefs
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
  • FHC contest winner:
  • I speak:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 07:42:58 PM »
And you can imagine my confusion when first time seeing Escape from Efrafa Finnish dub. Hazel drooling for "Cowslip" made me feell I was hearing and seeing things and becoming crazy.
I could understand the confusion.  But if Hazel were to fall in love with the creepy buck also called Cowslip...that would be so insane :cowslip

Also in the old movie's Finnish dub they dubbed Hyzenthlay into Silverweed. So this stuff really has been weird in Finnish versions of of the Watership down.
That's a weird translation.  Although, in the book at least, both are talented poets.

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Silver
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • I speak:
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
And you can imagine my confusion when first time seeing Escape from Efrafa Finnish dub. Hazel drooling for "Cowslip" made me feell I was hearing and seeing things and becoming crazy.
I could understand the confusion.  But if Hazel were to fall in love with the creepy buck also called Cowslip...that would be so insane :cowslip

That's a weird translation.  Although, in the book at least, both are talented poets.

True, but it did take me me like whole Escape from Efrafa to realize that Primrose was supposed to be Hyzenthlay and not Cowslip. XD

Offline FiverHrairoo

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by FiverHrairoo
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The movie
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
I just noticed that Fiverhrairoo has made one error there. Actually Finnish word Ratamo means plantain, not fleaworth.

Sorry, I misunderstand when I was reading an English wiki article from plantain to know what it is in English xD

Offline Varjokani

• Shadowrabbit
  • Silver
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • I speak:
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 08:14:22 PM »
I just noticed that Fiverhrairoo has made one error there. Actually Finnish word Ratamo means plantain, not fleaworth.

Sorry, I misunderstand when I was reading an English wiki article from plantain to know what it is in English xD
Nah at least you did not call Hyzenthltay Primrose or Silverweed. *Im watching at you Pauli Virta Productions and Pan Vision Productions* :sarcasm