Visitors - Bless my Tail! Welcome to Fiver's Honeycomb!

This place is dedicated to Watership Down and its fans worldwide.

Here you can discuss all WD-related media, including both books, the movie and both TV series.

What? You are not registered yet?

Author Topic: Something I can't stop thinking about  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • Show only replies by Clover
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: N/A
Something I can't stop thinking about
« on: May 08, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
When I was watching The Eyes of Silverweed from the Watership Down TV series, there was a few shots of Blackberry and Campion that has had me wondering if they mated or not all day.

Here she gets close to him, and rubs her head against his shoulder

Here he wraps his around her, then they aren't seen for a few minutes

Then they come up from behind a rock, first Campion, then Blackberry second

I remember in season one when Hazel and Primrose mated, Hazel said "I'm going to be a father." But this was never said by Campion, or the other way around by Blackberry, not even once they arrived back at Watership Down.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:18:19 PM by Clover »

Offline Campion1

• Great Frith above!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Campion1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »
While it isn't bad to assume that Blackberry and Campion would mate at sometime, there would be absolutely no reason to believe they would have done it in Darkhaven when their plans were to escape to Watership and Campion's clear objective was to destroy woundwort. I think it would be best to assume they would wait TILL they settled at watership whether than do it in some run down paranoid and violent warren

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
I guess your write, it was just those images that I posted. Besides, in most of the Darkhaven episodes Campion and Blackberry are always seen, that is the only time they were seen. I just found it strange they disappeared for about four minutes, then appearing one at a time from behind a rock.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Chiefs enjoying retirement
  • Fiver
    • Show only replies by Hawkbit
    • View Profile
  • Favorite WD media: The book
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
Mating at some point in their life is implied, but never carried out on the show anyway.  I've forgotten in Tales if Campion ever settled down with a doe--memory tells me no, but it definitely was a big storyline for the series.

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
Quote from: Hawkbit on May 10 2011, 01:23:51 PM
I've forgotten in Tales if Campion ever settled down with a doe--memory tells me no, but it definitely was a big storyline for the series.
I re-read through Part III of the story, Campion wasn't mentioned of having a doe, nor any of the other Efrafans for some reason. :crazy

I just wish there would be a season 4 so we would be able to see what happens after the death of Woundwort and Darkhaven. There are a few things I like to know about the series, such as what happens between Hawkbit and Clover, Blackberry and Campion and Bigwig and Spartina. And Granite, Vervain and Felspar (orange Darkhaven rabbit)'s fates. They were the only rabbits whom ran away from the Black Rabbit, and I read on a few sites saying that they were the only ones to live. Since I prefer the doe Blackberry, seeing her with kittens is something that I will have to save for my fanfiction, and art. :meh

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »
I'd imagine after eight years, there is probably no season 4 out there, except for the fanfiction.  If it interests you, maybe you ought to write what happened to these characters.

Offline lilteeg

• Hlessi
    • Show only replies by lilteeg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »
@Clover-I pretty much only think of Blackberry as a very smart male rabbit in both the book and the movie so was quite amazed when he was a she in the cartoon series.  It must be that they were trying to create a mate for Campion so you are probably right.

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 10:39:17 AM »
^ I'm not sure I agree with that thought.  I don't think they thought a season 3 was going to exist or that a "mate" for Blackberry would be necessary.  Yeah, it sort of solves the "no mates" question, but you had to wonder if any of the bucks would want to mate up with Blackberry the doe.

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
I wonder why - in the series - nobody tried to become Blackberry's mate except for Campion? After all he and Blackberry meet each other in the last episode of season 2. Therefore, from the first episode of first season to the end of second season there is a lot of time for these two to find other potential mate. Campion is actually shown to have some feelings for Primrose, while Blackberry is never involved in any romantic relation untill she meets Campion.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »
^
Maybe Hawkbit and Dandelion were related to her in the tv series in some way? Hickory already had a mate, Flax didn't appear until mid season 2 and was only seen once until season 3. Blackberry didn't seem to care for Strawberry that much in season 1. Fiver was a year younger than her, Bigwig and Holly were a year or two older than her.

That could be why, but, since Campion is larger than Bigwig (almost Woundwort's size), he has to be at least two years older also. I'm not sure. :frustrated

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »
Wouldn't know if they were related.  I'm not positive among wild rabbits if inbreeding is even a concern.  We had guinea pigs at one time, one was pregnant when we bought her, and rule was to get the males away from the females by a certain age.  So I assume given the chance, animals would mate with any ready female, blood related or not.

Offline Clover

• Blackberry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
^
Wouldn't they all be related if they all came from the same warren? I mean Hazel, Bigwig, Blackberry, Fiver, Pipkin and the rest from Sandelford
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:23:44 PM by Clover »

Offline Hawkbit

• Awww frith!
  • Fiver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »
^ Yes, they are all an extended family of sorts.  Blackberry could be Hazel's uncle or something if the ages are far apart enough.  Maybe in the tv series, Pipkin is one of the main casts kids that they don't talk about. :crazy :crazy  :neener
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:34:40 PM by Hawkbit »

Offline Campion1

• Great Frith above!
  • Pipkin
    • Show only replies by Campion1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »
Quote from: Myrkin on Jul 9 2011, 07:11:06 AM
I wonder why - in the series - nobody tried to become Blackberry's mate except for Campion? After all he and Blackberry meet each other in the last episode of season 2. Therefore, from the first episode of first season to the end of second season there is a lot of time for these two to find other potential mate. Campion is actually shown to have some feelings for Primrose, while Blackberry is never involved in any romantic relation untill she meets Campion.
Two reasons:

1. Most of the bucks within watership tried to avoid blackberry's nagging nature

2. Blackberry was devastated and obsessed with Campion after his death, so any attempt to win her over would fall flat after that period

Offline Myrkin

• Council of Chiefs
  • Hyzenthlay
    • Show only replies by Myrkin
    • View Profile
  • I speak:
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
Quote from: Campion1 on Jul 13 2011, 01:30:28 AM
Two reasons:

1. Most of the bucks within watership tried to avoid blackberry's nagging nature

They rather tried to avoid digging Blackberry was in charge of. That doesn't mean they couldn't like her personally. Besides... By the 5th episode the warren was finished, so Blackberry didn't have to nag at bucks about digging anymore.
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel

Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And the train driver sees three idiots standing on the track.